Get Ready to Go for a Drive! -Driving camp vs Driving school

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Going for a drive with your friends is one of the exciting things about being a university student. Going to haunted places, or watching the sunrise from the car, etc… Every wonderful experience will be a nice chance to deepen your friendship.

Of course, you can join if you find some friends who have already got a driver’s license. But, how about you also being a driver? This article will give you a hint about the process of getting a driver’s license. The topic is… which is better, driving camp or driving school? Hope it will help you!

The best thing when you join…

Driving Camp

-Getting a license in a short term: Usually, you can get in only 2-3 weeks. If you want to get a license as soon as possible, joining the camp is the best shortcut for you! 

-Joining with your friends: Taking classes (学科) is very boring if you take them alone. But, if you join the camp with your friends, it’ll be a lot more fun!

-Taking lower prices than the other does: In general, it costs about 200,000-250,000 yen, which includes accommodation fees and food expenses. 

Driving School

-Easy to schedule: It might be hard for some people to take a few weeks off because you may have a part-time job or club activities… If you take commute courses, you could take a balance between getting a license and other tasks.

The difficult thing when you join…

Driving Camp

-Necessary to have 2or3-week-break: If you go to a camp for a few weeks, you need to take a long break in every task, such as a part-time job, classes, club activities, etc…

-High pressure on each test: During a camp, you need to complete every class and test in a limited term. So you might feel some pressure on them.

-Gap between the situations in Tokyo and the places you would join a camp: During a camp, you would take on-the-road driving classes there. In most cases, the situation you would face is different from that in Tokyo, such as traffic. You may feel afraid when you come back and drive around Tokyo.

Driving School

-Keeping your motivation for courses: Generally, it takes some months to get a license. Also, you need to go to school to take only two or three classes every day. So it might be difficult for some people to keep motivated for going to school for the long term.

-Limited number of (on-the-road) classes: You need to reserve each on-the-road class. If you go to school during vacation, it might be hard to take a reservation because of the big number of students.

Memories you get from…

Driving Camp

-Friends: You can make new friends from other places or prefectures. If you exchange your LINE or Instagram, you can keep in touch with these new friends even after a camp.

-Party night!: You can hold a party with snacks, movies, and games during a camp. It could be a chance to build a good relationship with your friends.

-Having nice meals every day (cautions: one of my friends got weight in only two weeks;( ): You could have local foods during a camp. It must be a mini “trip” for you!

Since you can join a camp with your friends and make a new relationship there, it must be fun with them!

Driving classes

Actually… they were not so much because you need to take courses alone in most cases. 

Persons who suit to join…

Driving Camp

If you want to get a license in a short term and to enjoy it, it’s recommended to join a driving camp with your friends.

Driving School

If you want to keep a balance with other daily activities, it’s recommended to take classes in a driving school at your own pace.

Kanako Shimizu

ICU (Japan) '23

Hi, I'm Kanako. I'm studying at International Christian University.
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.