Girl With Snow In Trees 2
Girl With Snow In Trees 2
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Culture > Digital

Four Ways to Celebrate Christmas Online.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

The streets of Tokyo are filling with Christmas music, and Santa Claus will soon climb down those chimneys. ICU has even placed colorful lights around a tree so students can see it after the sun sets. It is especially pleasant to see after periods of 5,6,7 lectures or late-night walks.

However, because of COVID, many of our holiday celebrations may have taken place online, and we may need to do so again this year. While not being able to visit our loved ones in person is disheartening, let’s not let this cloud our spirits and enjoy this Winter holiday. Here are four possible ideas to try and add to your virtual Christmas celebration!

1.Package a Gift.

Christmas is a season of gift-giving, so why not participate even if you will be celebrating the holiday online?  These gifts can be purchased, crafted, or even created together.

Here are some ideas. 

1. Something that you know will make them happy.
  2. Something that is unique to your region in the Winter.
  3. Something that is Christmas colored. 
  4. Something that includes Santa Claus, Elf, or a reindeer. 
  5. A Christmas activity that can be done during a video call.

2. Christmas Cookies Competition.

Sharing food with loved ones across the miles through video chatting is a great way to reconnect and spend quality time together. Well, how about starting from the kitchen? Together, you can take your cameras into the kitchen and whip up some freshly baked cookies. Enjoy the delicious treats and watch a movie as you debate and decide on who baked the best cookie.

3. Christmas Games.

To continue the game spirit from the cookie bake off, you can also take a look at these following games.

1. Santa Says.
  2. DIY Word Search. 
  3. Winter Pictionary. 
  4. Christmas Dingbats.
  5. Christmas Charades.

4. SlideShow of those Memorable Moments. 

Memories made throughout the course of the year. This is the ideal moment to reflect on the experience you had and the memories you shared with family and friends (even if it was entirely online) and reshare them. The benefits of being online include the ability to easily compile pictures and share them with those celebrating with you. Like through a Christmas-themed presentation slide! 

Hopefully, these ideas will brighten your video calls with your family and friends. ICU students, let’s continue to try our best this week because at the end of it, Christmas is waiting. Merry early Christmas!

Rina Muguruma

ICU (Japan) '26

Hi I'm Rina, I live with 3 cats and I love to read and write.