Dua Lipa Future Nostalgia album cover distributed by Warner Records
Warner Records

Dua Lipa – Future Nostalgia: An Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Dua Lipa is a name that might not be too familiar in Japan. However, in the United Kingdom, and now the US and Europe, she is a rising star whose songs can be heard in a variety of venues from shops to clubs.

She released her debut album (‘Dua Lipa’) in 2017, described as ‘dark pop’ with influences from rap and hip-hop. Her most well-known hits include a Calvin Harris collaboration ‘One Kiss’, and ‘New Rules’.

Her latest album release, ‘Future Nostalgia’, however, is a rapid departure from her previous sound. Combining disco and pop, along with electronic influences, the album is definitely one to listen to. After an early release, this album has quickly become my favourite album of 2020, and is definitely in my top 10 of all time. Here’s a breakdown of the tracks on the album.

Future Nostalgia

The opening song is actually my least favourite song on the album. I enjoy the catchy chorus; however I am not the biggest fan of the talking parts that take up most of the song and I thought the reference to John Lautner (yes, I had to look him up – an American architect active from the late 1930s) was quite outdated and niche. In a way it took away from the song slightly, as I had to pause and try to work out if I’d ever heard of him before. But maybe I’m wrong and there’s actually more architect buffs out there than I realise.

Don’t Start Now

The first single of the album, ‘Don’t Start Now’ went viral on TikTok – my personal favourite is by 88-year-old @its_j_dog and I recommend everyone go and check it out. ‘Don’t Start Now’ is a very danceable song that will definitely become a staple in party playlists.

Cool

I would rank this as my second favourite song on the album. The lyrics really capture that feeling of a passionate love. The line “I guess we’re ready for the summer” also perfectly describes my mood right now. The hot weather and change to online classes really makes me wish it was summer.

Physical

The second single of the album, the track is accompanied by a beautifully filmed video that really cemented the visual aesthetic of the Future Nostalgia era. The video is full of colour blocked outfits and animated sequences ala Britney Spears’ ‘Break The Ice’. This song is super high energy and I can’t wait to finally be able to go out somewhere and just dance to it. As Dua sings “Baby keep on dancing”.

Levitating

This is my favourite song on the album and my favourite song of 2020. This track has everything I could want in a song—disco influences, references to space and glitter, and a mesmerising sound. Again, I think that the talk-singing is the weakest part of the song, but it is immediately made up for with the lyric “sugarboo”.

Pretty Please

A sultry song that secures number three on my personal ranking of the album. This song is one of the most overtly sexual songs on the album, something that is evoked not only in the lyrics but in the rhythmic beat and Dua’s low tone of voice as well. Her voice really shines through in the somewhat stripped back production of the song. Also, cowbells.

Hallucinate

I couldn’t quite work out just who this song reminded me of when I first listened to it. Slant Magazine likens the track to Kylie Minogue and Lady Gaga, something that I can definitely hear. However, I would also compare it to Madonna’s 2005 Confessions on a Dance Floor album (the tracks ‘How High’ and ‘Jump’ specifically, but also ‘Ray of Light’ from the 1998 titular album) and some of the Sugababe’s discography (a 2000’s UK pop trio). This is definitely going to become a club favourite.

Love Again

Again, the opening of this song and the chorus background (synth violins?) reminds me of Confessions on a Dance Floor by Madonna, but the similarities end there. This song is also somewhat ‘stripped back’ compared to the rest of the album, allowing Dua’s voice to really shine through.

Break My Heart

The third single of the album, ‘Break My Heart’ features a great dance beat—one that rises in volume up to the pre-chorus. The chorus is also wonderfully simple when it begins, becoming increasingly disco as the song continues. The video for this was also completely fabulous. Featuring vintage Chanel suits, seamless transitions and a simple dance that I predict will become a TikTok hit.

Good In Bed

I think that this song would rank as my second to last song, above only ‘Future Nostalgia’. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy the song, and the Lily Allen vibes in both the melody and her singing give me life. However, much like Ariana Grande’s ‘Make Up’, I hate, hate, hate the promotion of toxic relationships that involve arguing and hating each other but having great sex. Sure, good sex is good sex, but it is not worth the stress of constantly arguing and hating the person you’re with. IF SOMEONE TREATS YOU BADLY PLEASE BREAK UP WITH THEM! At least Dua describes it as sad.

Boys Will Be Boys

This was definitely an interesting addition to the album. It is quite sonically different from the rest of the album. It is very simple compared to the others, but the lyrics deserve the stripped back production. It’s a song that laments the ways women have to police themselves around men to avoid upsetting them, the fact that many women around the world have to hold their keys in their fists at night, that men will often mansplain something to a woman or be heard over a woman. Though the song starts to drop the ball lyrically after the second verse, I still love the soaring chorus and strong base message throughout.

In closing, everyone should go stream Future Nostalgia. And follow it up with Confessions on a Dance Floor because I have rekindled my love for that album through this review.

Freya Williams

ICU (Japan) '21

Freya is a writer for Her Campus ICU Chapter. She studies Japanese Language and English Literature at Birkbeck College, University of London, but is currently spending her year abroad at ICU. Writing, reading, watching TV shows, scrolling through Instagram, reading makeup reviews and listening to Taylor Swift are all things she can be found doing throughout the day. Climate change is her favourite topic to discuss but gender issues and globalisation are also issues that are often on her mind. She is hoping to finish her degree and begin her masters once she goes back to the UK.
Sarah Ishikawa

ICU (Japan) '21

Sarah Ishikawa is currently serving as Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at ICU Japan. She is a senior studying English and American literature. On her days off you'll probably find her at a museum, coffee shop, or just at home getting things done.