Cry To Your Heart’s Content─7 Beautiful Friendship Movies To Watch This Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Clear air, the twitter of birds, and the golden trees shining in the sun… In this autumn season, while we are enchanted and excited by the aesthetic world of magic just outside of the window, we also tend to get sentimental due to feelings of sadness or emptiness. One good solution for when we find ourselves in such a mood is to laugh or cry to our hearts’ content by talking or going on a little adventure with precious friends. But unfortunately, this year won’t let us go and see friends, and the memories made by the combination of beautiful scenery and friendship which we were supposed to experience this autumn have disappeared somewhere. Today, for those of you who are missing the warmth of your friends, I will recommend seven movies about beautiful “friendships” you won’t be able to watch without being moved to tears!

Stand by Me (1986)

This is a classic friendship movie. The contrast of the grand nature of Oregon and the boys’ beautiful friendship will deeply touch you.

“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve.”

Memories of your childhood will come back with this quote by Gordon. 

Léon: The Professional (1994)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlRscVjcBEY

This is a story about a deep bond between a brave little girl and a reticent hitman. This unconventional combination is really charming, and you will be touched by their unusual bond which we can call both friendship and love.  

A Perfect World (1993)

Friendship comes in unexpected ways. This film, directed by Clint Eastwood, teaches this to us through its story, which is both violent and refreshing. While the story depicts a bitter reality, there is always a tranquil flow of time. You will not be able to watch its final scene where little Phillip keeps calling for Butch without crying.

Cinema Paradiso (1988)

Everybody has once heard of this iconic sountrack, written by Ennio Morricone—a master of Italian music—who passed away this summer, at least once. The friendship of Toto and Alfredo is beautifully reflected by the Sicilian scenery and the sentimental melody. You will never forget this film once you watch it.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Like “Stand by Me,” this film is originally based off of a novel by the world-famous novelist Stephen King. This movie tells us that there is hope, as long as there is life, even if reality is harsh. You will be deeply moved by these two men tied with a firm friendship, who never give up living their lives.

Thelma and Louise (1991)

This film will put you in the mood to go out and adventure more boldly than usual. What happens to Thelma and Louise on their drive through the magnificent deserts of southwestern America? You will be encouraged by these two brave and beautiful women who confront a male-dominated society.

Dead Poets Society (1989)

You will be deeply touched by the bonds of these boys attending a strict, prestigious school with an unconventional poetry teacher. Robin Williams, a great actor, continues to give us a true education in friendship through this film. 

“Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.”

Did you find any films you want to watch tonight? Let’s choose friendship movies to shed tears over instead of romance movies sometimes. Why not think about your precious friends and old memories through these movies during this quarantine? Make this empty autumn dramatic by the magic of movies!

Maasa Yamamoto

ICU (Japan) '24

I'm currently studying at International Christian University, majoring philosophy and religion. I simply love watching, creating, feeling, and listening to something artistic, and being in nature. And my biggest dream is living in Italy someday!
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.