Can’t Set Goals for Yourself? Me Neither; And That’s Okay.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

“I am a goal-oriented person”

It shows that the person is focused, knows what they want for themselves, and works enough to achieve it. I honestly wish I could say this about myself.

However, I’m really not a goal-oriented person. In fact, I cannot even make goals for myself.

So many times, I have been asked for my new year’s resolutions, goals for the school year, or general goals in life. Just this month, I was asked about my goal for this year since I just turned 21.

Not once have I been able to answer these questions.

why can’t we set goals?

I was always so ashamed that I didn’t have goals on many occasions.
When I heard people talking about their new year’s resolutions, or their dream job and their plans to achieve them, I would feel crumbled, like I was running behind them.

But now, I don’t feel that way about myself.

I can’t set goals for myself because I don’t have a big consistent picture of what kind of person I want to be. I don’t have a big life plan, or a dream job.
And I believe that this necessarily isn’t the worse thing ever.

basically, it’s okay to not know what you’re doing

I think not being able to have a big picture of what you want to be, or who you are, also means that you welcome changes and surprises, and that you use these to make yourself a better version of who you are.

Life is full of unexpected occasions, and those are what has shaped our lives so far. I think that is what makes life so beautiful and exciting.

I believe that my strongest traits and best memories all come from unexpected changes or difficulties.

Moving to different counties literally every 3 years brought me preseverance, a mind that respects, and fluency in two languages. My diagnosis to a chronic disease brought me strength, and a greater sense of appreciation to life. Not getting accepted to any univerisity except for ICU brought me encounters with the most amazing, talented, and interesting people I have ever met.

After a series of surprises in life, both pleasant and unpleasant like these, I stopped trying to expect what is in store for me next.

be proud that you are living in the moment

Of course, it’s great to have a goal and make effort in spite of surprises or difficulties. Thus I definitely still respect those goal-oriented people. And maybe in some place of my heart I still really admire them.

However, I think it suits me better that I live fluidly.
I will never be able to expect what is to come in life, and I’d rather make the best out of wherever I am and whatever I am given.

If any of you reading are anything like me, if you have ever been concerned with not having goals or a ‘dream’, I want to tell you that it’s not anything to be ashamed of.

You are living in the moment.
And when the chances come by, you will grab them.

Utako Kawakami

ICU (Japan) '24

Hi, I'm Utako and I am a sophomore at International Christian University!