C-Week Special: What’s So Special About the Bible?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Amid the global coronavirus (COVID19) pandemic, I assume many are inclined to reflect and ponder on life. And somehow, someway end up facing a hard reality: life is full of uncertainty and we don’t have much control over it. Think about it, no one really knew this pandemic (along with its numerous challenges) was coming, and no one really knows when this is going to be over either. Indeed, life is unpredictable and it is easy for us to get lost in it.

When we’re lost, our nature is to seek advice and guidance. Some turn to family and friends. Some turn to experts. But sometimes no one really has the answer you crave. 

So I turn to God, knowing that He is in control of everything no matter how messed up the world may be and that He understands me. He is great and mighty yet empathetic and caring.

“For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.” Colossians 1:16-17 NASB

Why Do I Read the Bible?

I am a Christian and reading the Bible is part of my daily routine. Reading the Bible is how I get to know God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit; how I get wisdom and knowledge from Him and let Him guide my life. If I may borrow a quote from N. T. Wright, a British theologian, “The Bible is the book of my life. It’s the book I live with, the book I live by, the book I want to die by.”

Some people think that, once you believe in God and get saved, life becomes easy and straightforward, but that’s not true. At least, that’s not what the Bible says. The Bible teaches that your life is going to be difficult and full of troubles anyway and that you shouldn’t be surprised when you’re faced with such a reality: “Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you.” (‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭4:12‬ ‭NLT‬‬)… A bit depressing, isn’t it? But, of course, He isn’t cruel and cold-blooded to leave us alone in this and overlook our suffering. Instead, He promises to go on this journey called life with us.

“The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy‬ ‭31:8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Simply put, “God doesn’t promise a life free from trials. However, He has given us the tools we need to fight our battles through His Word, the Bible,” as Heather Bixler wrote in her book My Scripture Journal: The Promises of God. So this is why the Bible is so special to me and why I read it every day: it is the Word of a living God that guides my life full of tribulation. 

“Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Psalm 119:105 NIV

C-Week is canceled this year…

This week was originally marked as C-Week or “Christianity Week” at ICU. It is an annual school-wide event where we get to learn about Christianity through talks and exhibits. I was going to hold an event during this week, but now that the whole event has been canceled due to the current circumstances, and the preparation was in vain. Well… was it? I open up the Bible and God told me this:

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians‬ ‭6:9‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Generally speaking, I don’t get to see the result of my work right away; but I believe God will bless my work when it’s due. After all, “He has made everything beautiful in its time.” (Ecclesiastes‬ ‭3:11‬ ‭NIV)‬‬ and I want to continue serving Him the way I can, not growing weary in doing so.

Alisa Anton U_Z0X
Alisa Anton / Unsplash

When I’m at my wit’s end, I turn to God. He is Hope that doesn’t depend on circumstances. Who do you turn to when you’re at your wit’s end?

“He rules the world in righteousness and judges the peoples with equity. The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know Your name trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You.” Psalms‬ ‭9:8-10‬ ‭NIV

Kisaki Saishu

ICU (Japan) '20

Kisaki is a senior student at ICU majoring in Environmental Studies. Passionate about environmental issues (...obviously!), mental health issues, and Jesus! Loves reading, eating, sleeping, singing, spending time in nature, watching YouTube videos, and drinking coffee. An extrovert seeming introvert who loves people.
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.