This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

For many makeup lovers, trying out new products is a part of the fun. But now in the midst of a pandemic, shopping for new makeup isn’t as simple as it used to be. So what’s the best way for us to still try new and exciting products without having to leave our homes?

Enter subscription boxes. Already popular amongst college students in the United States, beauty boxes are a subscription service curated by select beauty brands. With a monthly down payment, subscribers are treated to a surprise sent straight to their doorsteps. Each box features fun new items that can range from makeup to skincare to even beauty tools. See? We don’t even have to go beyond our front doors to continue shopping for new cosmetics!

Here are three popular options available in Japan.

Rakuten RAXY Beauty Box

Curated by Rakuten, the RAXY Beauty Box retails at ¥2,480 per month and ¥7,140 for three months. Prior to subscribing, you will be instructed to fill out a survey in order to customize the specific types of skincare and makeup you wish to be included in your box. This beauty box even features a special How-To guide that explains how to use each of the products. 

LookFantastic Japan

The LookFantastic beauty box is one of the most popular subscription boxes in the UK and a version has been made for subscribers in Japan. If you’re interested in trying Western makeup and skincare brands, this may be the box for you! LookFantastic Japan retails at ¥3,170 per box and you’re treated to four seasonal boxes per year. Each box includes six items over ¥6,500 in total value. 

@Cosme BloomBox

BloomBox is produced by @Cosme, the largest makeup and beauty portal site in Japan. Subscribers first select a subscription plan and create a beauty profile. BloomBox is the cheapest option of the three, at just ¥1,650 per month or ¥8,800 for six months. Each monthly box features 4 to 5 products specially selected from over 500 brands.

Anna Ostrowski

ICU (Japan) '22

Originally from California, Anna is currently pursuing a degree in Psychology at International Christian University in Tokyo. In her free time she enjoys dancing, drawing, and reading.
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.