This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Ever since I was young, I’ve had trouble focusing on tasks that required thinking, usually reading and retaining that information, as well as staying on task. Over the years, I’ve noticed that I never grew out of it, and went to counselors to seek help. As a result, I learned that I have a condition called ADHD, which makes it hard for me to focus on logical thinking. I have struggled so much with studying countless times. However, I have learned a few tips from trying many different things when looking and my counselors, which helped me do better. I believe that my tips would apply to those who have ADHD and to everyone who seeks to improve their focus when it comes to studying.

Get enough sleep

When I started sleeping early (as early as 9 pm sometimes) and getting at least 8 hours of sleep, I have noticed that there are many benefits compared to when I don’t get enough sleep. Not only would I feel more energized, but I am more likely to have a better memory of what I have studied the previous day. It’s challenging to go to sleep early, so I recommend focusing on the amount of sleep rather than when. Also, I recommend taking power naps (half an hour to an hour of sleep). If you sleep over an hour during the day, I guarantee that you’ll have a hard time going to sleep later at night.

Exercise or take a walk

This is something that I need to do to be able to get my mind functioning. I usually like to do a short workout or take a walk in the morning before studying for the rest of the day. Also, by exercising I feel like I can release all the stress and the weight off my shoulders. However, only good results would show when you consume the right things.

Consume the right foods and drinks

The things you drink and eat will significantly affect how you study, and I had personally felt a significant difference when I swapped cereal for oatmeal. If you eat junk food or even foods that are high in sugar, you will not focus as well as when you eat healthy foods. This is because junky and sugary foods drain the energy in your body quicker. I’ve personally never tried alcohol before, so it’s hard for me to say anything from experience, but drinking too much can also ruin your routine and hinder your studies.

Study in a public area

I love studying in public areas or places with many people, even if it means I’m not with my friends. This way, I feel more pressure around me to do my work. It also feels good when people walking see you working so hard! Thankfully, the ICU campus is open, so I have been going there almost every day to study among other students and sometimes stay as late as 8 pm.

Set a timer

This one is a tip that I got from my high school counselor. By setting a timer, I am more inclined and pressured to do my work and get it done. Not only should you set a timer for the amount of time you work on assignments or study, but also for breaks so that you do not spend too much time chilling.

These tips are hard to get used to, but taking all these things into account and incorporating it into your life by making them into a habit is very important. I make sleeping early a big priority because I see a big difference in my study performance, depending on how much I have slept. I hope that you will try out some of these tips to help you focus a little bit more.

Kaitlyn Corbett

ICU (Japan) '23

My name is Kaitlyn Corbett, a sophomore at International Christian University. I am currently studying Media and Communication studies, and I'm specifically interested in learning about the media communicates with children. Some of my hobbies are playing sports, such as soccer and tennis.
Sarah Ishikawa

ICU (Japan) '21

Sarah Ishikawa is currently serving as Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at ICU Japan. She is a senior studying English and American literature. On her days off you'll probably find her at a museum, coffee shop, or just at home getting things done.