This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

For the past few years, I’ve been into American sitcoms because they just takes away all my stress. Especially during the pandemic, American sitcoms have been a lifesaver for me because I’ve had more stress than ever. I love watching comedy TV shows and in this article, I will be sharing some of my favorites.

The Office

Yep, you’ve probably heard about this one. The Office is a very famous sitcom that is loved by so many people. It is a mockumentary-style TV show that just goes around the office of a paper company in Scranton, Pennsylvania. There are many different people who work at the office, and they all have very different characteristics (mostly very weird ones) that make this show even more interesting to watch. If you like weird people—or maybe if you are one—this TV show is for you.

Parks and Recreation

This TV show, which is actually created by the same writers as The Office, is not only full of comedy, but it’s also very heartwarming. Similar to The OfficeParks and Recreation is also shot in a mockumentary-style, following employees around at the Indiana Parks and Recreation Department. One of the main characters, Leslie Knope, has the ultimate goal of making the city of Pawnee, Indiana a better place, which makes the show really heartwarming. There is a lot of comedy, but it’s not as extreme as the office, so I recommend this to anyone who is looking for something that is more laid back.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I’ve always loved watching crime shows, however, TV shows about crime can be pretty dark. If you want to watch a crime show that will brighten up your day, I recommend watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a TV Show about the NYPD detectives/police and their daily day-to-day lives solving different crimes. What I like most about this show is that the way that they solve crimes is hilarious and very smart at the same time.

Scrubs

This sitcom is an older one, but it’s still hilarious to watch in 2021. I’ve actually only seen a couple of seasons of it because it’s hard for me to access it from Japan, but I can tell you that from the very first episode, I knew that it was a TV show that I can watch all day long. Scrubs is a TV show that follows the life of employees of a hospital. Many of the medical situations that they present in the TV show are very realistic and I think that they do very well at putting humor in at appropriate times. Don’t worry, you can watch this without having any medical knowledge!

Modern Family

If you’re a family person and love jokes that you can relate to easily, then this is the show for you. This is a simple mockumentary-style show about 3 types of families who are all to each other. The main premise of this TV show is to show the day-to-day life of families in the modern era. I usually watch this with my family while relating it to things that have happened in our family, and we have shared a lot of laughs watching this show.

Some honorable mentions are: That ’70s Show, How I Met Your Mother30 Rock, and The Simpsons.

If you live in Japan, it may be a little difficult to access these shows. However, I know that some seasons of The Office, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and That ’70s Show are available on Netflix in Japan. These shows may be very basic and mainstream, but if you haven’t watched them yet, I definitely recommend watching them if you have some free time.

Kaitlyn Corbett

ICU (Japan) '23

My name is Kaitlyn Corbett, a sophomore at International Christian University. I am currently studying Media and Communication studies, and I'm specifically interested in learning about the media communicates with children. Some of my hobbies are playing sports, such as soccer and tennis.
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.