This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Summer vacation is coming to an end. For those of you thinking “staying home all day made me lose my motivation.” “I want more stimulation!” and “I want to feel self-confident!,” here are four girl power songs to hype you up! Listening to these tracks is sure to make you feel strong and confident

“Level Up” by Ciara

“Ok, remember what I told you.

Be your own boss. Love yourself.”

This opening quote from Ciara is so powerful. 

This song was popularized by the accompanying #LevelUpChallenge, where fans posted videos dancing to the song. It’s a fairly simple and learnable dance, so if you haven’t been moving much during your time at home, give this challenge a shot and level up! 

“7 rings” by Ariana Grande

“I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it 

Both his and hers, I want it, I got it”

This song was written based on Ariana buying diamond engagement rings for herself and six of her besties. You don’t have to wait around for someone to buy you a ring, if you want it, you can go get it yourself! I would love to say something like this myself. 

“Boss B*tch” by Doja Cat

“I’m a bitch, I’m a boss

I’m a bitch and a boss”

I’m a shine like gloss

This track is like a theme song representing the quirky coolness or Harley Quinn, the megapopular character from Suicide Squad. The opening lyrics of “ain’t tryna be cool like you” tell us that Harley Quinn loves herself for who she is. 

“WANNABE” by ITZY

“I don’t wanna be somebody

I wanna be me, be me”

Even ITZY’s group name derives from “everything you want it’z in us,” showing us their strong sense of self-affirmation. Even in this song gives listeners courage through the lyrics—expressing how they wish to live a life that is true to them without being swayed by others. Every song by ITZY is incredibly empowering, so go give them a listen! 

These are my four picks for girl power songs to empower you. Did you find a song that inspires you? Let’s all learn to love ourselves through music! 

It’s interesting to dig deep into old songs and their history. Do you have any old songs to recommend?

Hana Nakai

ICU (Japan) '24

Hi, I'm Hana and am currently studying at International Christian University. On campus, I perform as a member of the Dance Organization of International Christian University.
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.