This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

「3 lessons on decision-making from a poker champion」-Liv Boeree-

Liv Boeree, a professional poker player, talks about decision-making in daily life in three points; luck, quantification, and intuition. First, good and bad happenings are brought by luck, so people should not see them as charismatic or genius when they succeed in something. Second, instead of saying “probably”, express probability by using figures to reveal the degree. Third, people should believe their intuition moderately to make good decisions.

These strategies will help to make good decisions. It’s crucial to be careful how to think of when good things keep happening, for preventing future bad results. Also, using specific figures when expressing some probabilities is useful when communicating with others. The three tips she suggests are helpful for individuals and also for relationships between people.

「Are you a giver or a taker?」-Adam Grant-

Adam Grant states that in every workplace, there are three types of people:
-Taker, who is self-focused and tends to put their interests higher than the needs of others.
-Matcher, who strives to preserve an equal balance between giving and getting.
-Giver, who always makes efforts to help others rather than own benefits.

He explains that givers are essential to an organization. They develop the entire organization positively and are often excellent as individuals. He also considers eliminating takers the most important thing to provide givers to work efficiently.

I believe that leaders who respect the interests of others and prioritize the success of the organization as a whole should be protected. It would be dangerous if the givers sacrificed their health or lives by devoting themselves to others. Not everyone can prioritize the benefits of others as givers. Therefore, the most important thing is respecting givers and creating an environment where they can easily ask for help from others.

「Our campaign to ban plastic bags in Bali」-Melati and Isabel Wisen-

Melati and Isabel Wijsen are sisters on the Island of Bali. They were on a mission to stop plastic bags from polluting their beautiful home island. They collected signatures, cleaned the beaches, and went on a hunger strike. Their efforts were rewarded when the governor of Bali declared in 2015 that the island would be free of plastic bags by 2018. The girls claim that even children can make a difference and encourages others to do the sam

I was very impressed that these girls, who were younger than me, took the initiative of an action that changed the mindset of the entire island. Even if we have a high awareness of social issues, many of us give up because we feel that nothing will change. However, if we really want to change the world and take action, supporters will follow. And gradually, we will get closer to our goals. I realized that we should talk about our dreams and take action from the moment we wish to change something.

I hope these videos broaden your perspectives and make your life richer!
Thank you for reading!

Saki Yamane

ICU (Japan) '25

Like…cooking, singing Hobbies…Japanese Calligraphy Areas of interest…Media, Journalism, STS(Science and Technology Studies/科学技術社会論), Environmental Studies, Education