William Smith Athletics – A Blind Eye to Female Sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

The future is female, directly powered by the XX chromosome pair. Generational shifts have pushed males out of power, and paved way for dominant influential women. Yet, what women do best is push for equality. Women challenge definitions, classifications and borders.

Heron’s fly together. That is the William Smith Athletics motto, embodying a sense of community and sportsmanship for women on campus. The 12 women’s teams represent the same mentality on and off the field. Seasons contain strenuous lifts, practices and games, but the overall life lessons gained dominate the obstacles.

It does not require deep conversation or copious amounts of time for female athletes to express their dedication. Emma Honey, a first-year field hockey player discussed the importance of sports on body image, “It shows the female how a female can use her body and strength, it’s empowering getting stronger and seeing the benefits of what you’re doing.”

Similarly, Katie Hunt, a sophomore soccer player spoke about the importance of athletics in her life.

“It is important for me to feel empowered through my physical body which women have never fully had control over their own, but more importantly to be a good example for young girls who can have the option to excel physically and mentally.” Yet, society portrays male sports as the Holy Grail and turns a blind eye to female sports.

The United States Women’s Ice Hockey team is currently boycotting the 2017 World Championship due to unfair pay. All members of the team have taken to social media and the press to discuss the situation and the need for negotiations. Unless progress stems towards a compromise, the women’s team will not play. Over a period of many months, the U.S. Women’s Ice Hockey team has guided and placed an example for leadership. Men are exemplified as tough, and able to withstand anything. But doesn’t giving up what you love for equality prove a greater point?

There are no professional women’s leagues for lacrosse, ice hockey or softball. The U.S. Women’s Ice Hockey team is changing the mentality of the public on what it means to be female. Hobart and William Smith needs this change in mentality. Did you know that Hobart teams receive more funding than the William Smith teams? Or that the Hobart Men’s Lacrosse coach receives more pay than the Director of William Smith Athletics? Through equipment and jerseys, the men accumulate more gear than the females. Athletic training, team support and athletic wear always sway towards the men. William Smith hockey player, Egan Sachs-Hecht, displayed fretfulness of student support: “If you look at the crowd during a game, besides the parents we have about six fans. But go to a men’s game and a large majority of the student body is there.” Nevertheless, women play as hard, tough and courageous as the men, if not more.

It’s time for the campus to redefine the stereotypes and mentality of sports. Women are athletes not a gender.

Julia Sipos is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) double majoring in International Relations and Spanish & Hispanic Studies with a minor in the Writing Colleague Program. While Julia is a contributor to Her Campus at the Colleges, she is also a Writing Fellow and the president and founder of the HWS Figure Skating Club, which hosts seven events throughout the semester open to any students on campus who want to learn how to skate!