yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Why Group Halloween Costumes Are The Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Group costumes; We’ve all had experiences with them, sometimes good and sometimes terrible. Personally, I feel they’re mostly terrible. Yes they can be cute, but getting everything together can also be a source of stress that I don’t need in my life. Here are all the reasons group costumes are terrible:

1. It takes forever to get everyone on the same page. Depending on how big the group is, it can take days to come up with an idea that everyone is on board with. One girl wants to be Riverdale characters, another is pushing a punny “French Kiss” costume, another wants to be nurses, and one is still rooting for Spice Girls even though you decided not to do that ages ago. Fights break out, things get rough in the group chat for a few days, but eventually you come up with a great idea that everyone is willing to do… or so it seems.

2. Someone will end up unhappy with their part in the costume. A few days after you decide, someone will bring up the possibility of changing the costume. This is especially true if you chose to be a cast of characters. There is almost always one character that nobody wants to be, so one unlucky person got stuck with it, and she’ll be passive aggressively complaining until November 1st. However, no one is willing to change the costume for her because it took so long to settle on this idea.

3. Someone always drops out. Although it’s really inevitable, it always seems to be a complete surprise. Depending on the costume, this one person can throw everything off. Now you have to make a decision, pick a new costume or just go on without that person? Whatever you decide, this is a betrayal that can’t be forgiven (at least until after Halloween is over, anyway).

4. Even if you have a great plan, getting the costumes can be a struggle. One person wants to DIY, one ordered it on Amazon but it might not come in time, someone’s complaining about the price, and the rest of you are trying to find a ride to Walmart or the nearest Party City. It’s always a last-minute scramble because you lost track of time and didn’t realize that Halloweekend was THIS weekend.  

5. It never looks as good as you thought it would.  This is the saddest but most common costume struggle.  If you DIY’ed, it’s even more disappointing because you worked so hard on it. There’s nothing to do but wear it anyway, or abandon it and put together a last minute joke of a costume.  

6. Sometimes it only makes sense if you’re all together.  If everything worked out and you finally get it together and go out in the costume, you end up having to explain to fifty different people that you’re one of the four seasons with your friends because nobody understands why you’re covered in flowers without Winter, Summer, and Fall standing right next to you. There’s literally no way to win when it comes to creative group costumes.

But in the end, isn’t it all worth it for the cute Insta pic and fun with your friends? (serious was it worth it? Because I honestly don’t know, this was a lot of struggle for a polaroid and 40 likes). Happy Halloweekend! 

Mary is a senior at HWS and the Senior Editor of the HWS Her Campus chapter. An English major and Writing Colleagues minor, she plans to work in the publishing industry after college. On campus, Mary works as a student writer at the Office of Communications and is a member of the One-on-One Friendship Club. In her free time, Mary likes reading, writing, and running.