Top Advisor With the U.S. Department of State, Elizabeth Frawley Bagley to Visit HWS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Where are you going to be this Friday, March 3rd? Head on over to the Seneca Room at 3pm to hear Elizabeth Frawley Bagley, a top advisor with the U.S. Department of State and former U.S. Ambassador to Portugal, as the next guest of the President’s Forum Series. The Leadership Café Conversation sponsors these presentations, “they invite leaders to share their leadership path and experiences. The event is intended to teach the campus that leadership is not effortless or innate, but is, instead, a learning process worth examining.” If leadership interests you, Bagley is definitely worth hearing as she is an inspiration to all, not to mention her true essence of girl power!

Our colleges’ President, Mark Gearan worked alongside Bagley during the Clinton Administration, and has remained good friends with her since then. After her return from Portugal, President Gearan has been working to get her to come speak at HWS.  Bagley also has a niece here on campus who is a member of the class of 2015. Audience members can look forward to hearing her answers to questions such as what types of leadership characteristics did top administrators like John Kerry and Hillary Clinton demonstrate? Who do you admire and look up to? How do we get more people involved in the civic public?

Bagley graduated from Regis College in Weston, MA and continued on to Georgetown University and obtained her J.D. degree in International law. Afterwards she also attended university and law school in France, Spain, and Austria, where she studied international trade law and public international law. In 2009 she was sworn in as Special Representative for Global Partners and Office of the Secretary of State. Under President Clinton’s presidency she served as the Senior Advisor under a former Secretary of State and established and headed the Office of Media Programming Acquisition for the newly independent Balkan states. During this time she was also a Senate liaison for NATO Enlargement. From 1994 to 1997, she served as the U.S. Ambassador to Portugal.  In 2014 she returned to her position as Senior Advisor for Secretary’s Initiatives, Office of the Secretary of State.

In addition to her work success, she has also raised millions of dollars for the Democratic candidates, and was a major support to Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign by contributing over $1,000,000 to the Clinton Foundation. 

Bagley has held many remarkable and high powering positions. If that list alone doesn’t leave your jaw open, then be sure to check out her interview this Friday when she comes to campus. Bagley has some incredible experience under her belt and her guidance is sure to be inspiring. It is an honor she will be visiting HWS.

Sources:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/biog/161327.htm

http://www.hws.edu/dailyupdate/NewsDetails.aspx?aid=18520