Tips for a Night In with Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

A huge part of college is going out and making memories that will last a lifetime. But everyone has days when going out is the last thing you want to do. Maybe you survived a long and stressful week full of essays and exams, broke up with your significant other, have an early sports practice the next day, or just want to spend some quality time with your friends.  Whatever the reason, here are some tips and ideas that can help you have the best night ever without leaving your dorm room.

1. Play Music

The right playlist can transform a night from depressing and mopey to totally awesome.  Some great options available on Spotify are:

–Songs To Sing in the Shower (which will have all your friends belting out the lyrics)

–All out 00s (for some middle school nostalgia)

–Breakup Songs (does this one need any explanation?)

–Today’s Top Hits (transform your dorm into a party)

–Chill Hits (this one’s great for later in the night, when you’re all tired and just want to talk)

2. Turn on Netflix!

Between classics like Mean Girls, great shows like Riverdale, Disney movies like Moana, and every season of The Office, you’re totally set for the night.  Just make sure you and your friends agree on what you’re watching before that night because otherwise you’ll be searching for something that everyone likes for hours. Other great streaming options are Hulu (which comes with the Spotify Premium student discount!), HBO Go, and Amazon Video.

3. Food is a Must

You will all be hungry at some point in the night, that’s a given. Luckily, HWS has great delivery options like Domino’s, Mark’s, and Cam’s (basically just pizza, but who doesn’t love pizza?).  ABP in the library atrium is also open until midnight, so you could go out and get food to bring back. Wegman’s is also only open until midnight, although Tops is open 24 hours. However, it’s probably just a good idea to keep snacks in your dorm to avoid having to go to the store in the middle of the night when you’re starving (questionable purchases will be made).

4. Plan Something Fun To Do

It’s always a good idea to have something to do in case you guys hate the movie you picked, can’t agree on music to play, or just start getting bored.  You could go the classic slumber party route with face masks and manicures, or decide to get competitive with games like Never Have I Ever or Uno.  Great card games to buy for you and your friends are the Voting Game, Cards Against Humanity, or Red Flags.  I know playing games can sound kind of childish, but with the right people it can be really, really fun!

Mary is a senior at HWS and the Senior Editor of the HWS Her Campus chapter. An English major and Writing Colleagues minor, she plans to work in the publishing industry after college. On campus, Mary works as a student writer at the Office of Communications and is a member of the One-on-One Friendship Club. In her free time, Mary likes reading, writing, and running.