Start Your Day Off the Right Way, with Skimm!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Do you find yourself swamped with work and running out of time to check the news every day? As college students with very busy lives, it is easy for us to neglect reading the news or not read the news as thoroughly as we wish. TheSkimm is here to offer a solution!

TheSkimm is a daily e-mail newsletter that gets sent to your inbox at 6 am every morning, so you can start your day off by reading the latest news and information about our country and the world as well. TheSkimm essentially “skims” major news articles about current events and gives you a brief overview of each article. Each summary gives you a link to the whole article if you are interested in reading more.  

This fabulous newsletter was founded by Danielle Weisberg and Carly Zakin, who met each other while studying abroad for college in Rome and later reconnected in Washington D.C. as producers for NBC News. As part of their careers, Weisberg and Zakin became adept at reporting news to different audiences and passionate about politics. Their family members and friends would consistently ask them about the news, and soon enough these ladies decided to launch their newsletter to keep people informed in a concise way.  

According to Weisberg and Zakin, “Reading the news is time consuming; Wanting to read the news is a hobby; last, not everyone has the time or interest.” To keep the general public informed and aware of breaking news, they came up with a newsletter that identifies and explains the major events of each day.

TheSkimm also offers “Skimms” of each presidential candidate for the 2016 Presidential Election. You can learn about each candidate’s views on major political issues such as immigration, education and student loans, the economy, the Iran Nuclear Deal, and gun control, as well as fun facts about their backgrounds and interests. 

TheSkimm has been seen in, Forbes Magazine, Glamor Magazine, InStyle Magazine, Vanity Fair, and US Weekly.

Be sure to sign up for TheSkimm to hear about the latest news in a smart, simple way. Read TheSkimm as soon as you wake up, and you will not only be more informed about your world and be more cognizant of current events (which can help you in your classes!), but also ready to get up and begin your day. 

Julia Sipos is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) double majoring in International Relations and Spanish & Hispanic Studies with a minor in the Writing Colleague Program. While Julia is a contributor to Her Campus at the Colleges, she is also a Writing Fellow and the president and founder of the HWS Figure Skating Club, which hosts seven events throughout the semester open to any students on campus who want to learn how to skate!