The Skimm a Fun Way to Read the News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Do you like to know about what is going on in the world, OR wish you were more aware of current events? We all know staying up to date on current events is tough. Running around trying to balance course work, activities, and the many other things that college students have to worry about, it can be hard to research and find out what is going on outside of our HWS bubble. The Skimm is the answer! Their mantra is, “We read. You Skimm”.

A little background. The Skimm was created in 2012 by Carly Zakin and Danielle Weisberg, both producers at NBC who were consistenly asked about what is going on in the world. To solve this they created an e-newsletter to help busy professionals stay up to date with current events.

The Skimm is a daily e-newsletter that delivers the major headlines right to your inbox. The Skimm sends emails every morning at 6 am Monday through Friday. The Skimm is delivered straight to you and is written in a fun and quirky way targeted towards millennial women and busy women who need the news and want it. The Skimm describes themselves as “…The daily e-mail newsletter that gives you everything you need to start your day. We do the reading for you – across subject lines and party lines – and break it down with fresh editorial content. We read. You Skimm.” 

Not only does the Skimm provide the headlines in a fun and quirky way, they also have been super active providing political awareness through social media. Leading up to the Midterm Elections the Skimm launched a major social media campaign and had guides providing information on all of the candidates and the most important issues.

The Skimm is the perfect way to stay up to date with all the major happenings in the world. It will allow you to WOW your professors, provide intellectual dinner table conversations, and even nail your interview with your knowledge on the most current events.

Interested? Make sure you subscribe here

Kelsey is senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS), where she is pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and American Studies. In addition to being a campus contributor for Her Campus, Kelsey is also a member of the HWS Leads program. She is loves to do yoga and is a Frank Sinatra enthusiast. She hopes to one day work for a major news outlet that focuses on government and politics. She hopes to go into public relations or marketing upon graduating.