Saying Goodbye to Your College Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Now that the final weeks of the second semester are approaching, some may be more ready than others to say goodbye to their college dorm room. These bittersweet goodbyes come with tears of sadness and joy as we approach the summer season. 

Saying goodbye to your bed… 

The most important thing that has been getting you through this semester, a.k.a. your best friend, is your bed. From late nights in the library and long classes during the day, your bed has always been there for you to come back to. Short 20 minute naps in between classes, to long naps after a hard day, and spending half the day in your bed watching Netflix, your bed was there for you. And now it is time to say goodbye. 

Saying goodbye to your roommate… 

To the person that you awkwardly met on your first day or who you have known for your whole first year here. It is time to go your own ways for the summer but no worries because you will see each other on campus next semester!  For those of you who didn’t quite get a long with him/her, it’s time to say goodbye and nice knowing you. 

Saying goodbye to your neighbors…

Goodbye to those neighbors in your hall that you have never really talked to but have awkwardly passed by on your way to the bathroom or out of the dorm. Goodbye to the neighbors that run through the hall at 2 a.m. laughing, yelling and disrupting your sleep. Goodbye to the neighbors that you befriended and whose rooms you walked into like it was your own. 

Saying goodbye to the week of dirty laundry piling up on your floor…

That pesky dirty laundry piling up, shirt after shirt, on your dorm room floor. Walking through it and around it to ignore the responsibility of washing and drying your clothes in the laundry room, staircases away from your dorm room. Say goodbye to the laundry and throw it into your suitcase. 

Saying goodbye to your shower shoes and shower caddie… 

Say goodbye to your shower shoes that you needed to walk down the hall and into the bathroom. Yes, those cheap $5 flip flops that squeaked as you stepped out of the shower. Goodbye to your shower caddie that you wouldn’t have been able to live without because juggling your shampoo, conditioner, and soap in your hands would not have been ideal.

Saying goodbye to the vending machine down your hall…

The machine that eats your money and gives you all of the unhealthy food options that your eyes love. Say goodbye to those late night snacks that got you through your last essay or your last episode of Netflix and the ease of walking down the hall with $1.25 in your hand. 

Saying goodbye to those flourescent overhead lights…

Goodbye to those horribly bright overhead lights that blind you each time you walk in the room and show every speck of dirt on your floor. The lights are so bright that putting up plug-in white lights or plugging in a small lamp was a necessity in order to be in your room. 

Saying goodbye to those midnight calls to Dominos or Mark’s pizza…

Goodbye to those late night calls that cured your craving for pizza after a very unfilling dinner at your dining hall. Ordering a pizza at 2 am with your friends and running to the door to greet the delivery guy forty minutes later is absolutely worth the wait.

Julia Sipos is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) double majoring in International Relations and Spanish & Hispanic Studies with a minor in the Writing Colleague Program. While Julia is a contributor to Her Campus at the Colleges, she is also a Writing Fellow and the president and founder of the HWS Figure Skating Club, which hosts seven events throughout the semester open to any students on campus who want to learn how to skate!