The Night Taylor Swift Changed My Life Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

As a college student, I’ve been through quite a few dating experiences. Long story short, they all ended terribly! All of that is my fault too, correct? It’s my fault for waiting by my phone for hours while I would be ignored, for being cheated on multiple times, for catching them in a lie, etc. NO!!! I took on all of this weight and baggage killing myself over what I did wrong while they made themselves the victim. It wasn’t until July 25, 2015 when Taylor Swift played at Gillette Stadium for all of my views to change completely.

Undoubtedly, Taylor Swift is one of the world’s biggest stars, but not just because she is a great singer and songwriter, but because of how personable she is. Out of 60,000 people in a completely sold-out Gillette Stadium, I felt as though Taylor Swift was talking to me and only me. It was as though she knew everything that has happened with my past.

Taylor Swift stopped in the middle of her show to connect with her audience and began telling us a story of a fan who wrote her a letter about her “treacherous” relationship. It’s the type of relationship every girl goes through at least once in her life — Everything was going great one day then the next, the guy got bored and just stopped texting, stopped answering calls, stopped everything out of nowhere. Just like Taylor Swift’s song in her Fearless album, they promise you forever and always no matter what then wake up the next morning taking all of that back.

As I looked around, quite a few girls around me were in tears, and that was when I realized how many girls go through such a terrible thing. The pop-star then went on saying that none of us deserve any of that and that we deserve someone wholeheartedly. Despite both my family and friends telling me that I deserve somebody like that everyday, I finally began to believe the girl who has millions of fans around the world. Why? Because this girl has been through the same exact thing I have been through and look at her — She is arguably one of the most famous people in this world right now. Picking herself back up from rock bottom, she surrounded herself with people who love and admire her. Taylor Swift ended her speech saying we will all be “clean” someday, and when that day comes, you will come out a changed, yet better person.

Ladies: I’m going to wrap this up by saying that if ANY guy has the nerve to do this to you, do not blame yourself because you deserve the world. You may not think that now, but once you are finally set free, nothing in this world will stop you. Just know that Mr. Right will come along and be the King to your Queen, because that’s what we all are. 

Photo Credit: [1], [2]

Brianna is a current student at Hobart and William Smith Colleges where she is majoring in architectural studies and double minoring in European studies and art history. Her love of academics came about when she traveled around Europe and fell in love with both the history and design. Follow Brianna's journey in New York while she is trying to find her fairytale ending.