This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

With finals fast approaching, there is nothing like watching a quick television show to de-stress and forget about the homework, quizzes, and tests. While there is plenty to watch on Netflix, it can often be difficult to find something that still fits in your schedule and brightens your mood. These five television shows are all around 30 minutes, which is perfect timing for a quick break from work without getting too deep in procrastination. So, take a step back from that chemistry problem you just can’t figure out or that public policy paper you just can’t seem to begin, and watch one of these five great shows. You deserve it!

• Everything Sucks

Everything Sucks takes place in the 90’s and follows a group of high schoolers trying to navigate the difficulties of high school, romantic relationships, friends, and more. If you are looking for a show that feels like a throwback, this is the show for you. Not to mention the soundtrack is awesome and there is great LGBTQ representation and discovery. Unfortunately, this show did not get renewed for a second season, but hey! Maybe that will make you less likely to binge and more likely to also work on actual homework.

• Nailed It

Hosted by comedian Nicole Byer and pastry chef Jacques Torres, this Netflix Original is like any other food competition series… except this time, the cooks are mediocre. In attempt to make professional and beautiful desserts, these at-home cooks usually fail miserably and who knew it would make such great television! Nailed It is perfect for the imperfect, anyone who can relate to not always winning in what they are trying to do. If you are ready for some baking fails and tons of laughter, this is the show for you!

• Santa Clarita Diet

A perfect combination of zombies and comedies, Santa Clarita Diet is the show to watch for anyone just trying to have a quick laugh before going back to work. The show focuses around Drew Barrymore, who is turned into a zombie and must continue to kill, and eat, humans to survive. Do not worry though, this show is not scary at all and focuses on the humor of her becoming a zombie. This show is perfect for anyone who enjoys The Walking Dead but needs a laugh from time to time. (Quick Caution: While it is definitely a comedy, some of the episodes can sort of gory due to the zombie nature. If you do not like bodily fluids, this is not the show for you!)

• American Vandal

American Vandal is a mock-umentary poking fun at the recent rise of true crime documentaries on Netflix. Not to mention, this “documentary” feels so real that I honestly believed it when I watched the first episode. The story follows the aftermath of a high school prank where graffiti of 27 dicks were drawn on teacher’s cars in the faculty parking lot. Yes, I mean penises. The faculty has immediately blamed the known troublemaker and the documentary focuses on clearing his name and finding the true culprit. Not only does this show feel so hilariously accurate, you will actually get involved in the story and also wonder, “Who Drew the Dicks?”

• Big Mouth

This show is for anyone interested in adult cartoons, and definitely is my personal favorite on Netflix. The cast and writers of the show are all iconic comedians, making Big Mouth incredibly funny. The show centers around something everyone can relate to: puberty. As a group of middle schoolers experiences the growing up of life, these comedians hit the awkward, yet hilarious, rollercoaster that puberty brings along. (Quick Caution: This show is definitely an adult comedy, and while it centers around an adolescent experience, it is meant for the viewing of adults. If you are not a fan of crude humors, a lot of sexual jokes, and profanity, this show may not be a good choice for you). Enjoy! 

Julia is a biochemistry major on the pre-med track. She aspires to be an OB/GYN and is focused on writing blogs about women's health. When not writing, Julia is also a member of Koshare Dance Collective.