This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Class registration for the Spring semester is upon us! Honestly, it’s debatable what’s more brutal: winter coming in GoT or registration for next semester. I thought I had plenty of time until my advisor recommended I schedule a meeting to discuss this upcoming semester! Both upperclassmen and first years need to be prepared for registration, and it seems like we’re never prepared enough. Below I’ve outlined some tips and tricks of registering for classes so you’re not caught off-guard the day you have to smash the “Enroll” button on Peoplesoft. Thank me later.

1.   Map out what requirements you need for your major and minor

Important may be an understatement here. Using an Excel spreadsheet, you can devise a plan of what courses you need under your belt. Once you find core requirements for your intended major or minor path, you can match those classes to what might fill a goal. Type in “HWS (enter your major here)”, and a list of courses and their descriptions will pop up. Thinking about professors, pre-reqs, and requirements is essential in this step.

2.   What courses fit which goals

This one’s pretty simple, especially because HWS releases a spreadsheet that says what goals fill what classes, which is super helpful so you can match what classes you have to take with what goals need to be filled. Getting goals completed early is always a good idea so you don’t have to worry about them as an upperclassman!

3.   Professors

The professor of a class is a big piece of whether you’ll enjoy a course, even if people claim it isn’t. I have found, in my personal experience, that taking Intro courses with a visiting professor is not a good idea, especially if it’s in your intended major. Visiting professors might not hone in on the extremely important concepts in the intro that will end up being referenced a lot in your upper level courses; you’ll end up feeling a little lost or confused if you didn’t learn something the department head expected you to know because you had a visiting professor.

A professor who you click with can also make it more comfortable to go to their office hours, learn in a comfortable environment, and even make you more interested in the given subject. You’ll have to spend about 15 weeks of class with this person, so definitely ask around about how people felt about taking class with a professor you are thinking about taking a class with. Your advisor could also help you see what professors might vibe with you too.

4.   Exploration Courses

Each semester so far, I have taken a course in an area of study I would not have taken otherwise. These courses could fill a goal and also give you insight into things you haven’t thought about before! I took a dance class last semester, and I absolutely loved it even though I have two left feet. I did a lot of self-reflection and met people I would otherwise have not met if I didn’t explore the world of dance!

5.   Your advisor is a great person!

Your advisor knows you and has been there since day 1 (of college). You’ll have to meet with them so they can release the hold on your shopping cart, but they can recommend courses you may like, guide you in the path of what you might be interested in, and help you adjust to the quite-confusing process of registration. Ask any questions that come to mind about registration. Your advisor knows a lot about you even if you don’t think so. Meet with your advisor (they have to release the hold anyways) and meet with a professor in an area of study you’re thinking of pursuing a career in.

6.   Talk to your advisor about professors you might like and courses they think you may find interesting

Your advisor will get to know you the more time you spend with them. If you let this professor know what courses piqued your interest, they can recommend other courses to you that you might also like which could help you narrow down options!

7.   Get up early for registration morning!

Registration is usually an ungodly hour in the morning, so set a few alarms and chat with your roommate. It’ll help get your brain stimulated and you’ll be more alert and ready to smash the *enroll* button on PeopleSoft. Also, I’ve heard that it helps to not be on the school Wifi because it gets overloaded and slows down.

8.   Open up a seconds clock on Google

Look up a seconds clock, which will count to the second until you press the button. Have it open right next to your PeopleSoft window, and get those fingers ready. If you press Enroll even a second too early, you may not get the classes you want because registration won’t be open.

9.   VALIDATE THOSE COURSES.

How terrible would it be if you wanted to be in a class and it clashed with another class time/day? And on top of that you tried to enroll and Peoplesoft doesn’t let you add two classes that clash? Make sure you validate your classes before the morning of registration so you have a backup plan or you can switch classes around. When you validate, you can also even make another schedule in your head if you don’t get into any of your first choices. And yes, that unfortunately happens.

10.   Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get into the course you wanted; there are options!

I know it sucks because you had your heart set on this amazing course that would really propel you in the right direction for your major/minor, or it was an exploration course that just really peaked your interest. Don’t cry too much, there are a few options. First, you can email the professor and make a case for yourself to be in the course. Most professors say yes, but be warned that you might not get in because the class is at capacity. Another option is asking for an access code before registration opens. The access code will put you in the class, and you can ask for it from the intended professor before or after. Either way, there is always another semester and many options available, one of the beautiful aspects of going to a small liberal arts school. 

Okay, lots of steps, I know, but registration gets easier each time you press “Enroll”, along with the amount of time you put into planning beforehand and the crossed fingers that span the endless minutes before you have to do it, it’ll all work out. Everything happens for a reason, and if you didn’t get into the class you wanted, whatever class you end up taking instead will be great too!

I was born and raised in NYC, went to school on the Upper East Side. I love volleyball, dogs, hanging out with friends and doing community service!