This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Hobart and William Smith’s Mosaic NY, a theater group on campus that deals with real-world issues and encourages dialog among our community, just held their 2015 auditions this March 28! This group is relatively new to campus, launching just last year in 2014. While it may be new, they have wowed the community on campus on more than one occasion. Their mission statement is written as, “devoted to creating and performing works of theater that promote dialog, develop community, celebrate diversity, and encourage the active pursuit of social justice.” Mosaic NY has certainly had a brilliant beginning, performing multiple times on campus, covering issues such as sexual assault, healthy relationships, racism, homophobia and other critical topics.

We were lucky enough to have the opportunity to catch up with a student who has been with Mosaic NY since the beginning, Lauryn Downing. She auditioned in the Spring of 2014 and came back to school three weeks early this year to begin their summer intensive. These students are not just performing as an extracurricular activity. “The members of Mosaic are my family, we’ve shared intimate stories of our lives with one another that has created a trust like no other.” Mosaic NY also gives students an opportunity to express their opinions and to have a say in what goes on at HWS. As Lauryn puts it, “…upon coming to HWS I also found a little activist in myself. Mosaic was a way in which two things I love, and are integral to my identity could be combined.”

Mosaic does not only put on prepared performances but they do other events like “Tack-a-Yak” which occurred in the past few weeks. Reminding us to be conscious of our words, they asked us to yak positive. Mosaic put the power back into our hands and emphasized that this is our campus and our community, and it is in our power to make it a better place. “The result is loving HWS not only for the place it is now, but also for the place it can be. Mosaic was more than an impact, it was life altering.” On top of having this amazing opportunity to make a change in the community, the members also get paid. Pretty great opportunity!

Lauryn was  not the only member willing to spill about how fantastic Mosaic NY has been, a newly initiated member, Niame Traore (one of our very own Her Campus HWS contributors!), gave us an inside scoop on part of her auditions. “I remember an activity in which each of us had to choose words and utilize each word to represent HWS. Although we each had our own individual ideas, bringing those ideas together is what made the activity more significant.” There you have it, even the auditions are mind-opening! Niame has big aspirations and she believes that Mosaic NY can help her achieve them. “I think one of the greatest beauties in life is to watch someone’s face light up because they believe they had something greater to offer the world.”

Are you like Niame? Feel like you have more to give to HWS than just earning a degree? Lauryn and Niame are only two of the many members that are in Mosaic NY. Although auditions are over, you can easily keep up with them on their Facebook page Mosaic New York for any updates on their doings! (Currently at 480 likes! Let’s keep the likes coming!)

An important message to take away is that it’s important to start conversations, especially on a small campus like ours here at Hobart and William Smith. Keep informed and start a conversation! –“Mosaic was more than an impact, it was life-altering.”