HWS Community Launches the UPstander Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

One thing about HWS staff and students is that they never cease to actively combat bullying and try to make everyone on campus feel as comfortable and safe as possible. Last week, the Office of Student Activities initiated its brand new UPstander Campaign to promote anti-bullying messages across campus and encourage students and staff alike to go beyond being merely a bystander by becoming an “UPstander.”

According to the campaign, part of being an UPstander is refraining from the usage of derogatory language, jokes, or actions to refer to someone’s gender, sexuality, physical appearance, values, religion, social status, and a variety of other categories.

To raise awareness for the campaign, staff and students from various organizations including the Division of Student Affairs, Residential Education, and the Office of Student Activities invited community members to sign a declaration promising to be respectful of others and sensitive to their differences.  

Created alongside the national anti-bullying campaign, the UPstander campaign is also using Facebook as a way to further spread the word. HWS community members are encouraged to change their Facebook profile pictures to the “I am an UPstander” photo, which will also be distributed across campus on little cards for people to hang up all around campus.

Like the bystander training that first-years must undergo during Orientation, this campaign promotes the creation of an even more inclusive and welcoming community on campus.

As the enthusiasm of the campaign spreads, the HWS campus is soon to be decorated with “I am an UPstander” photos and blossoming with excitement from staff and students who are constantly striving to make HWS a better place. 

Julia Sipos is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) double majoring in International Relations and Spanish & Hispanic Studies with a minor in the Writing Colleague Program. While Julia is a contributor to Her Campus at the Colleges, she is also a Writing Fellow and the president and founder of the HWS Figure Skating Club, which hosts seven events throughout the semester open to any students on campus who want to learn how to skate!