How to Survive Finals Week: Elle Woods Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Worried about your first final exams in college?  Feeling the pressure to cram?  No worries!  Finals week can definitely be stressful, but with a little scheduling and a whole lot of studying, all of your hard work will definitely pay off!  Here is a six step guide to overcome the most dreaded time of the school year with a little help from Elle Woods!

1)  Make a schedule.  Planning out time to study, while still enjoying time with your friends can be a struggle, but a little scheduling can definitely go a long way.  Print out a schedule for the week that finals take place.  This way, you will be able to keep track of everything that you need to get done in a timely matter.  Lay out when you have exams and final portfolios and papers due, and how many hours you need to prepare for each.  If you layout all of the work you need to get done, you are more likely to finish it in a timely matter.  Make sure that you schedule some time with your friends and of course some coffee breaks!  Give your brain some time to rest so that you are able to retain more information.  Try not to study more than three hours without at least a ten minute break so that you do not fry your brain. 

2) Take advantage of reading days.  Three full days to study without classes hindering your schedule?!  Take advantage of that much needed time.  Reading days are put in place to give you the extra time that you need in order to prepare yourself for your exams, while not having to focus on classes for the day.  While there may be parties going on during reading days, try to resist the urge to attend, or even use it as an incentive to get your studying done.  No one wants to study while hungover, but if you do decide to attend, take it easy and make sure that you drink lots of water before bed!    

3) Find a quiet study space.  The library will be jam packed with students during finals week who usually do not make it there during the school year, so make sure you plan ahead where you are going to study.  Wake up early if you want to get prime seating in the library.  During lunch and dinner there is also typically a lull for students who pick up for a break, so snag a seat as soon as possible during those times.  If you do not want to stress over finding a seat in a crowded library, look into other options!  The Blackwell Room in Demarest (attached to the Chapel) is a favorite location for students to study at HWS.  Open classrooms, the cafe, and even the Vandervort Room are great options as well!  Make sure that you pay attention to where quiet hours are during the week to offer you more locations to look into.

4) Give yourself goals.  Setting goals for yourself are always a great way to keep your eye on the prize.  Give yourself a goal for the grade that you want to receive on your exam or final paper.  Be realistic, this goal could help you to work hard and by thinking more about it, you will probably work harder to achieve that goal.  Also give yourself incentives.  For every page of your study guide that you work through, offer yourself a piece of candy or even a five minute study break to read a Her Campus article!  Want to go to the last fraternity party happening during reading days?  Use this as an incentive to get all of your work and studying done.  You are more likely to do the work if you have a goal or incentive behind it. 

5) Keep your brain active.  Nothing is worse than an overworked brain, remember some tips to keep your brain active while you study.  For those of you who like to listen to music while studying, create a playlist that you can use while you are working.  By listening to that music before your exam, your brain will automatically associate the information that you retained studying while listening to the music.  The same goes for chewing gum and keeping hydrated!  Chewing gum and drinking water does not only keep your brain active, but it can also help you retain information as well.  Make sure you pack a piece to chew during your exam and fill your water bottle up!  Another tip to consider is studying in the classroom where you will be taking your exam.  This way, you can get rid of some test anxiety with a greater possibility of associating the information that you learned, where you learned it.  Working out is another great way to keep your brain active and give yourself a short break.  Do not forget, endorphins make you happy!   

6) Ask Questions.  Make sure that you ask questions before and during reading days.  Many professors have extended office hours leading up to finals and even leave the last class day open strictly for questions about the final.  Make sure that you take advantage of this extra time!  Professors are usually willing to help you, so make sure that you read over class notes before you enter your last class so that you have questions to ask, or pop in on your professor’s office hours to ask any questions about your final exam.  Also, do not forget to ask your peers questions.  Collaboration and study groups are a great way to work together towards a common goal.  Had trouble on microeconomics, but were a pro at macroeconomics?  Find someone in your class who had the opposite problem, this way you can work through the material together and help each other.  Sometimes learning from a peer is more effective than how you learned the material during class.  Another great idea is to start a running Google Doc with your classmates.  This way, you can put all of your notes together to make sure that no one missed any of the material in translation.

With a little help from these tips, you will be set for finals week!  As always, remember to Keep Calm and Study On!

Check out your HWS final exam schedule at: http://www.hws.edu/offices/registrar/exam_sched.aspx

Julianne is junior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS), where she is pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, with a double minor in Media & Society and the Writing Colleagues Program.  In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Julianne is also a Writing Colleague on campus, and is the Publicity Chair for HWS Votes.  She is obsessed with her dog, Joelle, and loves to follow politics.  She hopes to one day work for a major news outlet that focuses on government and politics.