HBD Elizabeth Blackwell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Normally, while walking past Gulick Hall, it is easy to stroll by the Elizabeth Blackwell statue without giving her the time of day. Last week, however, it would have been hard for you to miss her. On February 3rd, we celebrated Elizabeth Blackwell’s 195th birthday, and in accordance with the occasion, Ms. Blackwell was dressed in a birthday hat, balloons, and a banner.

While every day cannot be Elizabeth Blackwell’s birthday, it is important that we remember her for all that she accomplished during her time here in Geneva.

For those of you who do not know, Elizabeth was a student at Geneva Medical College starting in 1847. (Geneva College became Hobart College in 1852.) Since she was a female applying to the college, the dean and faculty decided to have the 150 male students vote on whether or not she should be accepted. If one student had opposed, Elizabeth would have been denied. Luckily, all 150 students voted unanimously to have Elizabeth join their class.  

Although she was shy and nervous when she arrived here in Geneva, Elizabeth proved that she had a promising medical career ahead of her. While working at a clinic in Philadelphia one summer, Elizabeth was appalled by conditions of the patients she encountered who were suffering from typhus. From this experience she became motivated to focus her senior graduating thesis on typhus and its impact.  

On January 23rd, 1849, Elizabeth Blackwell became the first woman in the United States to earn a medical degree. After graduation she spent time studying in Europe until she returned to New York City to open her own practice. While in New York she became a mentor to many young aspiring female doctors, hoping to help them overcome the adversary she had encountered over the years.

So, next time you walk past Elizabeth Blackwell on your way to class, make sure you wish her a happy belated birthday and congratulate her on her impressive accomplishments!