Give Back to Women in Nepal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

The worst earthquake in 80 years hit Nepal on April 25, 2015, killing more than 4,000 people. Thousands of others are stuck in remote areas blocked by landslide debris and are in desperate need of aid. Lauren Conrad, former MTV star and Co-Founder of The Little Market, an online shop showcasing local women artisans in Nepal and elsewhere, is suggesting a way to help we can help. 

Many celebrities including Kim Kardashian West, Olivia Munn, and Zoe Saldana sent out their prayers via Twitter. Lauren Conrad has gone one step further. As the Co-Founder of The Little Market, she suggested people donate to the Global Fund for Women, an organization that will donate directly to the women in Nepal. The Little Market is a website that Conrad and her team created where they personally travel to work with artisan groups around the world to “showcase their skills to a broader audience” online. They work with the artisans to either develop new products with them or modify existing products to sell on the site (thelittlemarket.com). Each item is carefully handcrafted and they are all beautiful! 

The Little Market’s Nepal partner artisan group is The Friends Handicrafts, which  “fights urban poverty in Nepal by training and employing female heads-of-household in the art of felting. Through the production of vibrant, high quality products, Friends Handicrafts’ artisans are afforded meaningful work, enabling them to provide all the essentials for their families, from food on the table to education for their children.”

When we reached out to The Little Market they said, “we’re working to confirm that the artisans and their families are safe.” The Global Fund for Women knows what necessities women need that often get overlooked by other relief groups. As women of Her Campus, we understand the value in helping women in specific basic needs, and that is what makes this organization very special. Last year, Conrad visited Kathmandu on a trip for The Little Market and said, “It was a magical place filled with the most amazing, kind people. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Nepal affected by this tragic earthquake.”

To learn more about The Little Market and the Global Fund for Women, follow the links to the blog posts below:

Photos taken from thelittlemarket.com and The New York Times.