Five New Spots on Campus to Study (That Aren’t Your Dorm or the Library)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve been to the library at least once during your time at HWS when all the tables, booths, and rooms are occupied and you can’t find anywhere to work.  With finals just around the corner, here are some new places on campus to study.  

1. An Empty Classroom in Stern or Gulick Hall

Stern Hall and Gulick Hall have great classrooms to study in. In fact, academic buildings in general make great quiet places to study when they are not in use for class. An added bonus is that Teaching Fellows often hold regular hours in some of these classrooms at night and can help you out depending on what you are working on! 

2. The Third Floor or Trinity Hall

Trinity Hall, located between South Main Street and the Quad is home to the Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning (CCESL), the Salisbury Center for Career, Professional and Experiential Education, and the Office of Global Education. On the third floor, there is a large classroom that can be a great place for quiet study when it is not in use for Career Services workshops or other special events. 

3. The Blackwell Room

Located on the second floor of Demarest Hall, the Blackwell Room boasts a library-like atmosphere for students who like silence to focus, beautiful architecture and impressive stained glass windows. However, some classes meet in the Blackwell Room, so be mindful not to intrude on a class. 

4. The Second Floor of Scandling Center

We all know the Scandling Center because it is home to Saga, the Café, the post office and other useful resources for students. However, far fewer people take advantage of the lounge and study space that can be found on the second floor near the Vandervort Room.

5. The Gearan Center 

The Gearan Center for the Performing Arts is a beautiful new space for all students to use. In addition to providing a facility for students of the performing arts, there are several areas in the center that students can use to study. The main lobby on the first floor is particularly spacious and great for this! 

Julia Sipos is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) double majoring in International Relations and Spanish & Hispanic Studies with a minor in the Writing Colleague Program. While Julia is a contributor to Her Campus at the Colleges, she is also a Writing Fellow and the president and founder of the HWS Figure Skating Club, which hosts seven events throughout the semester open to any students on campus who want to learn how to skate!