alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie: Matt Sylvan ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Matt Sylvan! Learn all about this fun-loving and goofy Hobart rower!

The Basics:

Class Year: 2017

Major: Media and Society

Minor: American Studies

Hometown: Plainview, New York

Activities: Hobart Rowing, Film and Video, Watching TV/Movies

Interested In: Women

Relationship Status: Single and ready to mingle!

Describe yourself in three words: Silly, Courageous, and Relentless

Celebrity Crush: Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Pratt

“Favorites”:

Place to Party: KA and Sparkle Palace

Food: Chicken Parm

Movie: Back to the Future

TV Show: The Office

Song: Move Along by the All American Rejects, it was actually the first song I put on my IPod.

Place at HWS: Saga, I enjoy Saga Sitting.

Place is Geneva: The canal that the crew team rows on, I don’t actually know what it is called, Cayuga Canal?

Class at HWS: Intro to Media and Society

Cologne: Ralph Lauren Polo Blue 

HC: How do you feel about being nominated as Campus Cutie?

MS: I am very honored and pleasantly surprised!  I’m excited that I get to share my interests and personal bio with a range of people on campus whom I might never have encountered otherwise, you know, I gotta do it for the love of the fans.

HC: What do you look for in a girl?

MS: I want a girl that is easy going and all around chill. It’s important that I feel comfortable talking to her about anything and that we can always have fun together no matter what we are doing. She definitely has to be someone I respect and can care for.  It would also be a bonus if she could win my parents’ and my sister’s approval, because that’s important.

HC: What’s your idea of the perfect date in Geneva?

MS: We would go down to the sailing boat house on a nice night, one that’s not too windy, with a nice sunset and just have a lot of Domino’s. We’d probably eat some chicken and bacon pizza, or whatever she likes. I would make it so it was a nice but a simple picnic on the docks.

HC: What’s the worst date you’ve ever been on?

MS: I’ve actually never really had a bad date, I guess I’m just so good at dating that it always goes well! Just kidding!

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

MS: I’m on the Hobart Rowing Team, which takes up the majority of my time, but I can always find some time for the ladies.

HC: What’s something interesting that most people don’t know about you?

MS: I don’t drink soda, or eat candy or chocolate. Twizzlers are the only candy I’ve ever liked. I also scream pretty often in my sleep, my roommate can vouch for that.  I have nightmares that lead to me screaming randomly and loudly. I wake both myself and my roommate up whenever it happens, but then we both just fall back asleep without really acknowledging it. I doesn’t happen every night, but it has been happening a lot more often recently, which is concerning. My suitemate says it’s because I’ve been eating frosted flakes before bed and the sugar makes me restless.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

MS: This may not be realistic, but I would love to be living in New York City, working as a producer on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, or some other talk show. I would also like to spend my summers and some weekends throughout the year living at what is currently my Grandmother’s beach house on Long Island. It’s easily my favorite place.

HC: Who is your role model? Why?

MS: I would probably have to say Robert Downey Jr. again.  He’s just a pretty impressive guy to me, he used to be in the spotlight for being heavily involved with drugs but now he’s been sober and successful for quite some time. I just think that’s something that says a lot about a person.  I would also have to say the Michael Jordan is another role model of mine. He just strives to be great all the time. My dad has actually worked with him before and he said that he’s just an all around good guy who is a team player, and I think that’s important.

HC: Do you have any summer plans?

MS: I will hopefully attend and participate in the Henley Royal Regatta in London with other members of the rowing team. After that I just hope to enjoy the beach until I start training again for the fall season.  I might also have a part-time internship, I am not sure where yet, but that is in the works right now.

HC: What do you want to accomplish by the time you graduate?

MS: I want to do more video work and just improve my video production skills. I also want to try and get some sort of student job on campus that involves filming certain activities or something. It would also be pretty cool if became YouTube famous in one way or another.

HC: What do you want to be remembered for at HWS?

MS:  I want to be remembered for being an all around good person and friend. I hope people remember me as a fun guy and as someone they have a lot of good memories with. I also want to be known for the work I did with rowing and my film work on campus. I want people to be able to say that they miss having me around.