alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie: Connor May ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

This hilarious Campus Cutie knows what he wants and has interesting and exciting plans for his future. Meet Connor May!

The Basics:

Class Year: 2016

Major: Media and Society

Minor: Economics

Hometown: Larchmont, NY

Activities: Intramural Basketball, Intramural Softball, Kappa Alpha Fraternity, IFC, Stewardson Society (hopeful), Scrabble, watching SVU re-runs, and many more.

Interested In: Women

Relationship Status: Single

Describe yourself in three words: Funny, Awesome, and Mysterious

Celebrity Crush: Susan Boyle

“Favorites”:

Place to Party: BJ’s Wholesale Club – The employees there know how to party.

Food: Skirt Steak

Movie: The Shawshank Redemption

TV Show: I’m currently re-watching “The Office” for the 50th time on Netflix

Song: Currently? “The Star Spangled Banner” as performed by Whitney Houston at Super Bowl XXV

Place at HWS: The living room in the Office of Admissions

Place in Geneva: Community Bank downtown. The tellers are so nice!

Class at HWS: Cultures of Advertising

Cologne: Freshly Cut Grass

How do you feel about being nominated as Campus Cutie?

CM: I am absolutely flattered and thrilled at the same time. Not only will this accolade be a great resume-booster, but also my parents will finally have something to say when they need to brag about me to their friends. My memory will be forever immortalized on the HWS Her Campus website. When my great great grandkids attend this fine institution, they will know their great great grandfather as a Campus Cutie.

HC: What do you look for in a girl?

CM: I need a girl who will laugh at my jokes and have the ability to laugh at herself. She has to be a well-kept girl who cares about the way she presents herself, but not too much. She also needs to bring out the best in me and encourage me to try new things. Basically, I want a girl that I can let my guard down with and will appreciate me for who I am.

HC: What’s your idea of the perfect date in Geneva?

CM: A nice dinner at one of my favorite spots: Halsey’s. Maybe hit up a movie or a nice stroll through downtown, depending on the weather. Take an obligatory walk down to the Lakefront Park. Finally, go somewhere where we can take some funny pictures that we can laugh about down the road.

HC: What’s the worst date you’ve ever been on?

CM: My worst date was in high school; I think I was a junior. It was with a girl I guess I was “dating,” if you want to call it that. I really wanted to go bowling so I made her pick me up. We got there and the bowling alley was closed. It was getting late but she didn’t have her senior driver license so she couldn’t drive past 9pm – I had mine, but of course, I made her drive (I wasn’t the brightest kid in high school). Anyway, she ended up driving me home, illegally, and I had to listen to her Dad yell at her over the phone as we drove. Bottom line is I didn’t even get to go bowling and her Dad wasn’t too fond of me from there on out.

HC: What are you involved in on campus and what are you most proud of?

CM: I have a job on campus in the Office of Admissions. I am most proud of the fact that I’ve been working there since freshman year and they still haven’t fired me. On a serious note, I am proud of the fact that different students from a multitude of different groups can come together and attract only the best and brightest prospective students year after year.

HC: What’s something interesting that most people don’t know about you?

CM: Contrary to what some people might believe or what they think based on the way they see me act in a social setting, I haven’t had a drink or a drug since October 7th, 2012. I’m high on life and I am this fun all of the time. A fraternity guy who doesn’t drink? That’s crazy! Not crazy – I’m doing it.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

CM: After an exciting couple of years in my twenties, I hope to see myself with a nice job that I enjoy and one that allows me to afford a nice comfortable lifestyle. I would like to have a pet goat that gets along with my future dog named Vern. I also hope to be married with at least two kids and more on the way, for some reason I have always wanted to be a young dad.

HC: Who is your role model? Why?

CM: One role model? I have a lot. In this context, one that immediately comes to mind is HWS Trustee Thomas Poole ’61. He was one of the driving forces in me attending HWS. After losing the only grandfather I knew at a young age, Tommy unknowingly stepped in as my surrogate grandfather. He is a man who is dedicated to his alma mater, his country, his career, and his family. As a mentor, he is constantly willing to point me in the right direction and offer a helping hand whenever possible. He is one of the most successful and generous people that I have ever met. He eats, sleeps, and breathes Hobart and William Smith. Tommy has been a huge proponent of my success here at HWS and he is someone who I will always look up to.

HC: Do you have any summer plans?

CM: After working as a swim coach and lifeguard since my freshman year of high school, that chapter of my life has sadly ended. I have just recently accepted an internship in Chennai, India. It is for a digital advertising firm, 2AdPro, which was actually started by a Hobart Alum. It’s going to be a new experience, but exciting nonetheless.

HC: What do you want to accomplish by the time you graduate?

CM: Graduating with some sort of degree would be pretty ideal and would make my parents proud. I want to leave this place knowing that I left my mark here in some way, shape, or form. Whether it’s socially, academically, or holding some sort of leadership role, I want to leave here knowing that I made an impact.

HC: What do you want to be remembered for at HWS?

CM: I want to be remembered as someone who people will miss after I graduate. I don’t mean someone just saying, “I miss Connor May because he was so cool.” I want people to genuinely struggle with the fact that I am no longer an every day presence on this campus. I want to be remembered as everyone’s best friend.