Campus Celebrity: Paige Pierce ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Congratulations to the 2015 winner of The Pitch contest, Paige Pierce ’17! Here is everything you need to know about her fabulous fashion business idea.

HC: Congratulations, Paige! So, what is Orchard Outfitters?

PP: Thank you! Orchard Outfitters is a mobile fashion truck that travels to Northeast Private Colleges selling trendy clothing and accessories. My business is basically a fashion general store on wheels that brings product from one mini quad to the next. It not only allows students to be able to shop the brands they want but also allows brands to provide an engaging experience from a pop up shop venue.

HC: What was your inspiration for Orchard Outfitters? How did you come up with name for it?

PP: I love Geneva and since being at HWS it has become like a second home to me, but there is nowhere to shop! Online shopping is such a hassle because you never get what you expect and you’re always shipping packages back and forth. I wanted to come up with an idea that can get the brands college kids are wearing right on their campuses where they would be able to purchase them in person. I was inspired by the local community and the beauty of upstate NY which is why I named my business after the orchards we so often see. I have always loved fashion and design, Orchard Outfitters sells it’s own product as well, serving as a companion brand to the other companies in the truck.

HC: What kind of items would you be selling? All clothing? Or would shoes, accessories, jewelry etc., be incorporated, too?

PP: Orchard Outfitters sells trendy North East clothing brands and a variety of other ready-to-wear items. From needlepoint hats and wallets to basic white tees and fleeces, we cover a wide variety of clothing and accessories. With eleven brands already interested in being in the truck, Orchard Outfitters is on its way of being able to offer college students they brands and trends they want. 

HC: Are you going to handpick the items that you sell or are going to have a team to help with the buying process? What kinds of designers are you interested in selling?

PP: The inventory process at our company is very simple. Once a brand is committed, an Orchard Outfitters representative would work with that brand to pick out what would sell best in the truck for that season. Being a college student myself I am able to see first hand what kids are wearing season to season or trend to trend. Our target brands are companies like Patagonia, Ray Ban, Superga, and Southern Tide to name a few. We would also be working with different brands to get seasonal trendy items in the truck such as flash tattoos, sandals, winter hats, snapbacks, workout accessories, or iPhone cases. Some of the brands that have already expressed interest are Smathers and Branson, Dogeared, KJP, Accessory Concierge, Old Sox, and Nectar Sunglasses, just to name a few.

HC: Is Orchard Outfitters going to stay close to Geneva near other upstate NY schools, or is it going travel far to other rural schools?

PP: A fashion truck is a very versatile business because it allows you to sell anywhere at anytime. There are many small liberal arts schools in upstate NY just like HWS that the truck will travel too. In our first year we will travel to four schools close to Geneva such as Cornell, Hamilton, or Skidmore and then expand to travel to eight schools per season with the hopes of attending summer festivals and private events as well. 

HC: Have you always been interested in entrepreneurship? Have you had any other business ideas before?

PP: I have always wanted to start my own business in the fashion industry and was really excited this year to get the opportunity to be able to. By taking classes in entrepreneurship and participating in programs like the Idea Lab and the Innovation Academy I have learned that I am passionate about the subject and really enjoy running my own business.

HC: Now that The Pitch is over, where do you go from here? What is the next step to make Orchard Outfitters come to life, and do you have an ideal date for when the truck will be up and running?

PP: From here Orchard Outfitters will work to secure more financial capital to be able to get the truck up and running by fall of 2017. This summer we are going to be developing our website, networking with investors, and reaching out to our target brands. The future of Orchard Outfitters became really exciting once we won The Pitch because it gave us the seed funding we need to establish ourselves as a real business and most importantly the means to buy our truck.

HC: What will happen to the truck after you graduate? Are you planning on working with the business after HWS?

PP: I will definitely be running the business after graduation with the hopes that Orchard Outfitters succeeds. Being an entrepreneur is a risk but after all the hard work I have put into this business I want to give it a chance to be viable and successful!

Congratulations to Paige — Best of luck with Orchard Outfitters!