Campus Celebrity: Geneva Calder ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Meet this weeks (international) Campus Celebrity, Geneva Calder! A double major in International Relations and Public Policy, member of the William Smith Lacrosse Team, active volunteer and leader around the Colleges and community, Geneva truly portrays the idolized woman.

Name: Geneva Calder

Year: 2016

Major: International relations and Public Policy

Hometown: Toronto, Ontario

HC: In your past four years what has HWS taught you?

GC: HWS has taught me to say yes to doing different things out of my comfort zone. By getting involved and taking on different leadership roles on campus I have met and made incredible friends. It truly has made me appreciate all that the Colleges offers!

HC: How has being an international student changed you experience here?

GC: Being an international student has truly made me realize how many rights you don’t have when you’re not an American citizen. Being an international student has let me meet and appreciate all the other international students here. Some of my closest friends are from all over the world!

HC: What are you involved with?

GC: I play on the Varsity Women’s Lacrosse Team, I do the radio broadcast for the ice hockey and field hockey teams, I work in Bristol Gym for the Hobart Lacrosse Office, I am also a leader for SAAC, I worked the Class of 2019 Orientation, I also run the social media accounts for students activities, and I am in charge of the Heron Lacrosse Twitter!

HC: Describe your role for the SAAC committee.

GC: I used to be Secretary, but due to my crazy schedule I am now just a voting member. As a leader in SAAC it is my job to promote community involvement for athletics. Some fundraisers we do include Breast Cancer Awareness Fundraising and Thanksgiving drives. I also help on voting for new NCAA rules.

HC: How has having a leadership role built you into the woman you are today?

GC: It has brought me out of my comfort zone, as I am certainty a shy person. It has also given me the opportunity to feel invested in something. Most students go to college and typically don’t get involved and are just happy to receive their degree. With my leadership roles and involvement I truly have gained strong feelings for Hobart and William Smith and for all the people that I have been fortunate enough to meet. Without them I wouldn’t be who I am today. 

HC: How do you balance everything from being so involved, to athletics, academics and managing a social life?

GC: Having a regular work schedule forces me to be productive with my homework. When I don’t have a lot going on I tend to slack, it’s almost better to be busy so I can stay focused. One thing you really learn is when you have to say “no” to something because you physically can’t do it.  Being at HWS I have learned that you can do a lot but not everything!

HC: What are your plans for after graduation?

GC: Right now I’m looking to attend Graduate School at the University of Toronto to receive my Masters Degree in Global Affairs. They have an internship program abroad built into the curriculum so I would use that as an excuse to get back to Europe, which I would be ecstatic to do!!

HC: What’s your favorite quote?

GC: “Don’t fear God, don’t worry about death, what is good is easy to get, and what is terrible is easy to endure” – Miriam Toews. This quote talks about being fearless and realizing as bad as things can get everything is temporary. You must appreciate the good times when they come and know that you can get through the worst of things.

HC: What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?

GC: I was Prom Queen at my Senior Prom! 

Ali Burns is a Sophomore at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) and is a member of the William Smith Lacrosse team. Along with writing for Her Campus she is involved with working at school sporting events, as well as volunteering with Geneva Neighborhood society, Thrive to Survive and local schools. She lives in Hingham, Massachusetts and loves going to the beach. Her aspiration in life is to become a Sports Broadcaster!