This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Hobart’s renowned First-Year goalie of the Hobart Varsity Ice Hockey Team has even more spotlight for the most recent sports award he has won. Whether it is buckling down with schoolwork, practicing at The Cooler, or hanging with friends at White House, he is always living life to the fullest. This Campus Celebrity shares his hockey experiences and what he thinks is most important. Don’t forget to congratulate “Frank the Tank” on such a great award when he is sitting in Saga!

Name: Frank Oplinger

Major: I’m a Physics major in the engineering program at HWS and anticipate to receive a mechanical engineering degree from Columbia University after five years.

Hometown: Sewickley, PA

HC: Why did you decide to attend HWS?

FO: I was playing Junior Hockey and I had another year of eligibility, but I really liked the idea of attending HWS because of how strong the academics are and how great the hockey team is. I also hated the weather in Minnesota!

HC: Tell us about the award you won at the Block H banquet?

FO: I won the Abe Solomon Memorial Award Rookie of the Year for the entire First-Year class of Hobart athletes.

HC: Can you describe what this award is for?

FO: It was all of the Hobart athletic teams combined for the best performance of a First-Year. I was really surprised.

HC: How do you feel about being selected for such a prestigious award?

FO: It is defiantly a huge honor and I am really proud of it, but usually when a goalie gets recognition it is more of a reflection of the 30 guys playing in front of him. I had the opportunity this year to play with some incredible teammates, and I really feel like that’s why I was able to get this award.

HC: How do you balance everything with hockey being a big part of your HWS career?

FO: For the most part it is tough between academics and hockey and to maintain a healthy social life, but it is easier in season because time is blocked off, so it is more of a core focus between school and hockey.

HD: What was your favorite hockey moment so far?

FO: My favorite hockey moment this year was winning the ECAC West championship in overtime. It was incredible to get the chance to play in an overtime game in front of a sold out rink, especially against such a strong opponent.

HC: When you’re not playing hockey what are you doing?

FO: Shopping for short sleeve button downs in Walmart or Salvation Army.

“Favorites”:

Class at HWS: Physics

Movie: Fight Club

Past Time: Saga Sitting

Place in Geneva: White House

Preferred Saga meal: Oh man, there are too many. There are so many things I love at Saga. But I especially enjoy the buffalo meltdown sandwich.

Avid thrifter. I probably got it from my grandma's closet too.