Best Musical Movies and TV Shows on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Musicals are so much fun to watch and listen to but what if you (like many college students) don’t have the time, money, or resources available to go see one live?  Luckily, there’s Netflix!  Here are some great musicals to watch right now: 

Movies:

Rent: This film adaptation of the classic Broadway rock musical follows a group of young adults struggling to make ends meet in New York City during the late 1980s. The heart-wrenching story deals with art, love, and the rising HIV/AIDS crisis in America at the time. This is definitely the saddest musical on the list but it’s also truly beautiful. Everyone should experience this musical (live or movie version).  

Newsies: If you’re looking for something more light-hearted, this stage recording of hit musical is bound to make you smile.  It follows a group of newsboys in 1899 as they take on the newspaper magnate Pulitzer in a strike over unfair price hikes.  The music is unbelievably catchy and the actors that play the Newsies are ridiculously talented dancers.  Not to mention that the plot line of teenagers calling out injustice and fighting for change is very relevant in our current political climate right now.

The Last Five Years: This one is also kind of a bummer, but it’s really entertaining. The Last Five Years follows the rise and fall of a relationship between Cathy, a struggling actress, and Jamie, a successful writer. One interesting aspect of this musical is that it switches between the perspectives of Cathy (played by Anna Kendrick) and Jamie (played by Jeremy Jordan), but Jamie tells it chronologically while Cathy tells the story in reverse chronological order. If you’ve recently been through a breakup, maybe steer clear of this movie unless you want to sob. 

TV Shows:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: This hilarious musical TV show follows Rebecca Bunch (played by Rachel Bloom), a real-estate lawyer in New York who decides to drop everything after seeing her first love from summer camp and follows him to West Covina, California.  This comedy stands out through its insane plot twists and catchy, entertaining songs.  It is going into its fourth season this year but all of the other three seasons are currently available on Netflix.

Glee:  I’m not sure I even have to give a synopsis for this show.  This is a great show to binge because it’s so nostalgic. Even if you didn’t watch Glee when it was popular, the music that is featured will still bring you down memory lane.  Also, a lot of the issues that were addressed in the show are still very prevalent today.  

Mary is a senior at HWS and the Senior Editor of the HWS Her Campus chapter. An English major and Writing Colleagues minor, she plans to work in the publishing industry after college. On campus, Mary works as a student writer at the Office of Communications and is a member of the One-on-One Friendship Club. In her free time, Mary likes reading, writing, and running.