This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

To All The Guys At The Gym,              

I know it is hard to imagine what it’s like to be able to run at that speed, to bench press that much, or to punch the punching bag that hard, but that’s right. You just saw it. Now, you can stop giving me “sneaky” sideway glances. I don’t know if you realize this, but I know you’re looking at me. We just made eye contact as I threw that last punch and I have this weird condition called peripheral vision.

So here is my question: what are you doing? ‘Cause these are the only things I can think of:

1. You can’t figure out why I’m able to kick-box
  2. You are silently critiquing my form (or lack thereof) of every punch I throw
  3. Your mom never told you staring was rude

But maybe I am wrong. MAYBE you’re thinking Wow, that girl can really throw down. But if that’s the case, could you not just say that? Because to be honest, it makes me uncomfortable when you stare. And it makes me feel like you’re wondering why I’m even here, which isn’t fair; if a gym membership was given based on ability, we both know who’d be here.

~ M

Hoping something here will make you smile. And while I'm being optimistic, maybe it'll even make you think a little.