7 Tips For Getting Through the Rest of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Sadly, spring break has ended and this meant that some of us had to leave warm temperatures or home cooking behind to return to below freezing Geneva.  Now begins the toughest part of the semester, the eight long weeks until finals.  This probably includes beginning those semester long projects and research papers we decided to “put off until after spring break”. While we may not exactly see the warm, bright, and sunny light at the end of what seems like a never ending tunnel, it will come faster than we know it. Here are some tips for how to save yourself from the stress (or at least procrastinate a little bit longer):

1). Plan and Organize. Map out what assignments you have do, what events, or extra-curricular activities you want to attend at the beginning of each week and plan your schedule accordingly.

2). Get ahead. With warm weather approaching it is hard to stay focused writing papers when all your friends are outside soaking in the first warm rays. If you look ahead and see one day is going to hit above 50 degrees, plan on getting some assignments done before hand, so you can hang outside without having to worry about that looming assignment.

3). Get Outside. This goes off of the last point, but get outside when it is warm out. Nothing can be more miserable than staying inside. Go out for a run by the lake or sit out on the Quad. Not only will you get some fresh air and much needed Vitamin D, but stepping away from a project for a little bit can actually help you get be more productive later.

4). Go to class. When this time of the semester rolls around, it becomes harder and harder not to keep hitting snooze. But this time of the year is essential, as the semester goes on the course work gets harder and harder. Make an effort to go to class and takes notes so when you have the exam or paper you have something to look back to.

5). Talk to your professors. Your professors are there to help you. If you do not understand something talked about in class, make note of it and talk to that professor after class or go to their office hours. Can’t attend office hours? Don’t be afraid to email and ask if they can meet at another time.

6). Eat. Sleep. Take You Time.  Sometimes when we get stressed out the most this is often the hardest. But with a healthy meal, plenty of sleep, and some personal time you can accomplish anything.

7). Have Fun. Don’t let your assignments take over your life. It is okay to go out and hang out with your friends. All this work can be tiring! It is okay to take a break.

Finally, remember summer is just around the corner and while the rest of the semester might seem like assignment after assignment, you will get through it and be relaxing in the rays soon!

Kelsey is senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS), where she is pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and American Studies. In addition to being a campus contributor for Her Campus, Kelsey is also a member of the HWS Leads program. She is loves to do yoga and is a Frank Sinatra enthusiast. She hopes to one day work for a major news outlet that focuses on government and politics. She hopes to go into public relations or marketing upon graduating.