5 TV Shows With Kick-Ass Females

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

When I watch a show that stars a strong female character, I feel strong too. It’s amazing how seeing other strong women, who kick ass, make me feel like I can do the same. So the next time you want to procrastinate, or kick back and watch some TV, try watching some of these shows that will make you feel like you can do anything.  

1. Good Girls Revolt

Good Girls Revolt follows a group of female researchers at a magazine in 1969 as they try to sue the magazine for equal employment opportunities. The women at the magazine have been relegated to research positions simply because of their sex. The blatant sexism shown in the newsroom can be frustrating to watch at times, but the strength of the women is apparent as they fight to be heard. Although set in the 1960s, Good Girls Revolt feels surprisingly relevant in a world where women are still begging for equality in the workplace. After watching, I felt inspired by the women because of their strength, determination, and ability to raise their voices in a world that doesn’t want to hear them.

2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I don’t think a list of shows with strong female characters would be complete without Buffy Summers. Buffy is an average high school student trying to navigate her world while saving the planet from demons. Buffy kicks some serious ass. She is strong both mentally and physically defeating those who oppose her by shear force of will. After watching this show you too will be ready to defeat the demons in your life.

3. Jessica Jones

Jessica Jones is one of Netflix’s many forays into the superhero world, and in my opinion it is the best attempt. Jessica is a smart and strong private investigator that doesn’t take crap from anyone. After a mysterious man from her past returns, Jessica is forced to return to her superhero past to try and stop the psychopathic Kilgrave once and for all. The show is a powerful look at the strength of one woman, as she fights against a manipulative and evil man. Jessica Jones is a dark take on a superhero story that showes a woman’s power as she fights against the forces of evil.

4. Sweet/Vicious

Sweet/Vicious is about two unlikely friends that team as vigilantes to fight against rapists on their college campus. With the abundance of rape culture and sexual assault on college campuses, Sweet/Vicious looks at the problem in a mature, heartfelt and, at times, humorous way. The women in the show are strong and take matters into their own hands in a world that often blames the victim in sexual assault cases. The depiction of sexual assault may be hard to watch, but the issues are handled in a mature and relevant way that is important today.

5. Veronica Mars

In Veronica Mars, the titular protagonist is a high school student who works at her father’s private investigation agency. Veronica is a sarcastic and snarky teen who digs up secrets in the dark side of her California town. Veronica is one kick ass young woman who tries to unravel mysteries and make sure that bad people are held accountable for their actions.

Hannah Bini is a senior at HWS and is majoring in European History with a minor in Latin. She currently lives in Portland, OR, but is originally from Pennsylvania.