photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

5 Things I’m Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

While Thanksgiving is already over it is still important to recognize the things in our lives that we are thankful for. It is important to recognize both the bigger things in life, such as family and good health and also the small things that make us happy, such as Netflix and FaceTime. Here are some things in my life that I am thankful for. 

1. Friends 

Whether it’s my friends from college or home, I am thankful to have them all in my life. It is important to surround yourself with people who will challenge and encourage you to be the best version of yourself. My friends are some of the most supportive people in my life and root me on in both my personal and academic life. I try to tell myself that you can never have too many friends, whether it is your best friend, who you talk to every day, or someone you only get to talk to every once in awhile, they are all important. I am thankful to have friends who are supportive, fun, loving, and challenge me to grow as a person. 

2. My Voice 

Over the past couple of years, I have realized how important and thankful I am for my voice and being allowed to have the freedom of speech. Especially in our political climate today, it is important to recognize our right to use our voices for the change we want to see in the world. Using one’s voice can be one of the most powerful ways to make a change in the world. I am so grateful that I live in a time and place where I am able to use my voice to fight for the issues that I am passionate about. 

3. Nature and Our Planet 

Now, more than ever, I have realized how thankful I am for the beautiful nature and wildlife that exists on our planet. In times where climate change is heavily impacting our daily lives, it is important to take a moment to really appreciate everything that our planet has to offer. I think by recognizing the gratitude we have for nature, wildlife, and our planet, we will hopefully be able to make more environmentally conscious decisions. 

4. Spotify 

Spotify (specifically Spotify Premium) is one of the small things in my life that I am very thankful for. Whether it’s to listen to music while studying, making playlists, or listening to podcasts, it is something that I use almost daily. It is important to be thankful for the small things you use in your everyday life that bring you joy. 

5. Dogs 

This may seem pretty obvious but dogs are definitely something that I am thankful for. Whether it’s my own dogs at home or pictures of dogs I find on Instagram, it will always brighten my day. I am extra thankful for all of the Corgi Instagram pages that I follow so that I am able to have endless pictures of Corgis 

Emme is a Classics and Women's Studies double major. In the future, she hopes to work politics and on political campaigns. She enjoys writing on topics such as current politics, women's issues, the environment, and popular entertainment. In her free time, she enjoys dancing, singing, listening to Broadway show tunes, and finding cute pictures of Corgis.