3ML On Its Way To Ending Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Hobart and William Smith’s all-female A cappella group, Three Miles Lost, has entered Lady Gaga’s Sing for Survivors contest and has been extremely successful within one week. The contest is sponsored by Gaga and the White House’s Its On Us campaign, focusing their efforts on preventing sexual assault on college campuses. The artist’s song, “Til It Happens To You” was written for The Hunting Ground Film, a documentary addressing the issue of assault on students. Collegiate A cappella groups across the United States are participating in the contest, creating their own arrangements of the song and producing a video incorporating their own campuses.

In order to continue their success, the members of Three Miles Lost are calling on everyone to help make their video viral. By watching, posting, and sharing, the public can provide the video with enough attention and praise to help them win. After making it to the top 50, the public will be allowed to vote and advance groups. If HWS and outside resources continue to bring attention to the video, HWS will have a greater chance of winning the stand in solidarity contest!

Over 100 members of the HWS community participated in the filming of the music video, including students, President Mark Gearan, Title IX Coordinator Susan Lee, Chaplain Maurice Charles, representatives from Hobart and William Smith Athletics, HWS Pride, Mosaic NY, Campus Safety, Dining Services, Sigma Chi, Chi Phi, Kappa Alpha, HWS Dance, and the HWS Deans. The support for Three Miles Lost, sexual assault victims, and college students everywhere has been immense, proving the qualities of Hobart and William Smith.

“We are so incredibly grateful to be a part of spreading awareness for such an important cause. Being able to use music to do so also makes us so happy. It is truly amazing to see our video going so viral and reaching so many people” said Lucy Carr ’17 who is a member of 3ML.

“Til It Happens To You” Original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmWBrN7QV6Y

Three Miles Lost Arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jobWRHUBkc

Sponsoring Organization:

itsonus.org.

The members of Three Miles Lost would like to thank the following people/groups for their help and continual support in standing in solidarity:

HWS Community (miscellaneous groups participated) 

Bree von Bradsky (videod and edited the video) 

Sled Dog Studios (recorded the vocals professionally) 

Mark Gearan (appeared in video) 

HWS Athletic Department (made a huge contribution) 

Nick Bombicino (arranged song)