American Bridge Project, Hunter College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hunter chapter.

He texts ‘Where are you?’

I reply, ‘Dangerously sitting at the edge of the sky’s bridge, clad by the Constitution, In the middle of the street, high above humanity’

He softly grunts ‘hmm’

I continue; ‘Observing humanity rush no where but I will be joining her’

‘Hmmm’ he softly grunts.

August 25th, 2017, approximately too many college students returned from their summer breaks to Hunter College for the 2017-2018 academic year and were met with a unique gift. The sky bridge at Hunter was transformed into more than a symbol and defiant stance. The bridge brought to 3 dimensional life enlargements of the American flag and the American Constitution in charcoal drawings by Mr. Robert Longo. Walking through the bridge the Constitution is superimposed in the sky, above the very busy street of Lexington Avenue for me to walk through. I take strong strides reassured that Freedom is on my left and on my right is Justice. In an interview with the New York Times Mr. Longo says ‘…and bridges are metaphorically something we need politically more than ever.’ He also hopes the bridge ‘provides a daily reminder of the importance of unity and free speech.’ This grand artistic work by Robert Longo curated by Jill Brienza, an independent curator, will be on display until December 1st.