Spring Break or Spring Broke?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Humboldt chapter.

With spring break just days away, many Collegiettes are getting ready to hit the road and create unforgettable memories. Spring break is the event of the year. You can party like a rock star and be a reckless youth like Gossip Girl’s Serena van der Woodsen. Yet, the question on the minds of many is: can I have the ideal spring break without breaking the bank?

English major Harrison Laver has big plans to travel.

“I might go to Hawaii with my dad and a couple of friends,” he said. “I’m still not sure because it was a last minute plan, and flights are really expensive.”

Expensive.
Money puts all of our high hopes into perspective. Kevin Bunch, a broadcast journalism major, recalled his previous spring break endeavors with a faint smile. Bunch said that he could not remember every detail of his last spring break, but it must have been a good one. Bunch specified that his spring break activities will not require a great amount of spending. He has two options for his spring break, and when it comes down to making a choice he said that money is the deciding factor.

Humboldt State alum and graphic designer Jessica Painter said when she was a Collegiette, a spring break getaway would have done a world of wonders.

“I was so busy, so stressed out, and I had a million classes and extracurricular activities. It would have been nice to spend a week in a peaceful environment.”

It’s a world of wonders that is causing psychology major Grace Padilla to reconsider her plans for spring break. A lack of funds is affecting her dream for a perfect escape.

“If I don’t have [the funds], it doesn’t allow me to do what I want to do,” Padilla said.   

While gas prices are skyrocketing, there is still hope for this spring break. It can still be epic and affordable!

Remember to enjoy your spring break, as it might be your last, it is 2012 after all. 

Zoe is a 19-year-old sophomore at Humboldt State University. She is majoring in journalism with minors in graphic design and dance. She is currently the Assistant General Manager and Head of PR for the student-run radio station, KRFH, and the Head Layout Editor for HSU's student newspaper, The Lumberjack. She has also worked as a writer, photographer, and designer for the campus magazine, Osprey. Zoe is ecstatic to be starting HSU's Her Campus branch. With hopes to one day work at a major women's magazine, Her Campus is a step in the right direction. Aside from being an aspiring journalist, Zoe enjoys performing (she's danced for five years, played the cello for 10, and done musical theatre for 12!), bike riding, and painting.