Outerwear Steals and Deals for Plus-Sized Fashionistas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Humboldt chapter.

The winter months can be a cold and brutal time for many collegiettes who wish to remain warm and toasty while walking to class. The cold weather is a fabulous excuse to pull your best outerwear out of storage and turn any walkway into your own personal runway. In the plus-size world, however, many ladies feel the need to consign themselves to the baggiest hoodies or pullovers since stores have few options in the way of fashionable jackets for bigger individuals. Look no further! Some big names in clothing franchises have the tools you need to look feminine and flirty on a chilly day.

Torrid
A name well known amongst the plus-size community, Torrid strives to provide women with feminine and fashionable options for every lifestyle.  From toggle jackets, to pea coats, to puffers, girls are bound to find something to their liking. The majority of the color selection is very neutral, ranging from white, black, brown and charcoal, but sometimes it is simplicity that makes an outfit fall into place!
Prices start in the $70-100 range but with constant sale opportunities, you’re bound to grab a bargain!

Old Navy

A clothing line that caters to every size, Old Navy dabbles in basic styles to colorful patterns, creating flattering, modern looks for every body type. The plus size line includes a variety of choices including outerwear for the winter weather. Jackets, military-style trench coats, and fleece pullovers are just a few of the items a fashionista might find while browsing their website. From tweed and wool to canvas and fleece, outerwear prices peak at about $70 but drop into the $30 range, so keep an eye out for sales.

Forever 21 +
Always up to date with the fast-paced world of fashion, designers at Forever 21 keep up with the exciting new styles and prints and bring them from the runways to our local malls. Originally named Faith 21, Forever 21 + adapts clothing options from the smaller sized clothing to its plus sized line. The outerwear options include, blazers, jackets, and vests. In addition to the variety of materials and prints, Forever 21 + stands out in cost with prices ranging from $20-$50.

Macy’s

If you happen to be a collegiette with a penchant for designer attire, then Macy’s is a great place for you. With a large plus-size storefront, a customer will never be short on options for clothing, especially in outerwear. Brands include Dollhouse, Jones New York, Steve Madden, Ralph Lauren and more. With such an eclectic selection, there is no trouble finding an item for the simple yet elegant individual or the colorful, bold fashion lover. Prices will vary in accordance to the designers selling preference, but Macy’s is no stranger to sales and discounts, so grab those prices while they’re hot.

Sabina is a 23-year-old junior at Humboldt State University where she majors in journalism with an emphasis in broadcast. She is currently the Opinion Editor for the campus newspaper, The Lumberjack and a DJ for the student-run radio station, KRFH. Her experience includes terms at Mt. San Antonio College as College Life, Opinion and Features Editor of the college's newspaper The Mountaineer, and Editor-in-Chief of the award-winning campus magazine, Substance. Sabina hopes to utilize all the multimedia tools at her fingertips to spread the word about beauty, health, and positive body image. Her hobbies include drawing, writing, shopping, and collecting cameos.
Zoe is a 19-year-old sophomore at Humboldt State University. She is majoring in journalism with minors in graphic design and dance. She is currently the Assistant General Manager and Head of PR for the student-run radio station, KRFH, and the Head Layout Editor for HSU's student newspaper, The Lumberjack. She has also worked as a writer, photographer, and designer for the campus magazine, Osprey. Zoe is ecstatic to be starting HSU's Her Campus branch. With hopes to one day work at a major women's magazine, Her Campus is a step in the right direction. Aside from being an aspiring journalist, Zoe enjoys performing (she's danced for five years, played the cello for 10, and done musical theatre for 12!), bike riding, and painting.