Dancing Through Life: Jared Mathis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Humboldt chapter.
Jared’s Favorites:
Food: Mexican food
Book genre: Realistic Fiction
Song: “Elephant in the Room” by Richard Walter
Campus hangout: Dance Studio KA 202
Activity: Playing Playstation, X-Box or Wii

Driven by his passion and determination to change the world, dance major Jared Mathis moves his audience to awe as he performs on the stage. For Mathis, however, it is more than just a performance; he sees dancing as an art form, capable of much more than just entertainment.

At the age of 3, Mathis witnessed a ballet performance and, though he may not have understood it at the time, he recognized its beauty and found his passion for the art of dance.

He began his dance career performing in small shows until high school when he realized that in his hometown of Los Angeles, the only dance classes available to him were hip-hop. Mathis wanted to do more.

With a determination to study every style and the dream to become a renowned dancer, Mathis came to Humboldt State where he was instructed and motivated by his mentors Sharon Butcher and Linda Maxwell.

While his biggest mentor is “the homie,” his mother, the people who inspire him the most are his 4-year-old brother who looks up to him not only as a big brother but as a father figure as well, and his grandmother, a singer and recording artist who passed away six years ago.
Mathis’s grandmother, who he describes as phenomenal, never scored a major record deal, yet stayed humble and happy where she was in her community and inspired Mathis to dream of the same life of comfort and joy.

When asked to describe his passion, Mathis’s face lit up. He revealed that when he watched a Janet Jackson music video, instead of watching the singer’s moves, he gazed at the dancers behind her.

This made him realize that what he wants to do as a dancer is work with artists, help them create their visions, and eventually create his own. Mathis hopes to orchestrate a vision that will change the world.

“I’m very passionate about changing people’s lives,” the 19-year-old sophomore said and wisely acknowledged that life is great.

Psychology major with a minor in statistics, this chick is a BOSS! She loves reading and writing, she likes to write with alot of "...'s", she eats food, breathes air... basically she's a normal person with a splash of crazy! .... and she likes talking about herself in third person...