Tips for Staying Sane During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Every college student can relate when they are frantically studying for five different classes and it takes a toll on you mentally and physically. I used to be like that during my freshman year of college when I did not have any time management skills and I was a procrastination queen. As I grew older in my collegiate career I learned that stressing during finals week is not healthy but it’s bound to happen to most of us. Here are my techniques to keep me sane during the worst week of the semester and hopefully it can help you.

Do not force yourself to stay up to study, just go to bed. It’s not worth it.

If you read my last article about sleeping versus studying with Bob’s Burgers gifs then you know that I will NEVER pull an all nighter and neither should you. There is nothing worse than staying up all night studying and not remembering half the things you studied because your brain was asleep while your eyes were awake. I suggest just go to bed for a couple of hours and wake up early and study before the test. You will retain more and be more of yourself since you got some shut eye.

Provide positive vibes

Finals week is already a negative time as is; you are crabby from no sleep, probably breaking out from all the junk food you been eating, and you need to memorize so much content for each class. Be positive for yourself and others, give words of encouragement to people who need it and also to yourself. Having this energy of “I got this!” will help you be more confident when taking exams.

Sweatpants, hair tied, chillin’ with no makeup on

Do not make the effort to put on makeup or look cute. Your skin will hate you for it because stress + makeup + junk food is a recipe for acne! Let your skin breathe and sleep in for an extra 30 minutes. Who cares if you got acne scars, whiteheads, huge pores etc. everyone else is so concentrated on studying that they won’t even notice! Also, I suggest wearing leggings or sweatpants and a hoodie. It will make it easier to take naps in the library.

Step away from your laptop

Hunching over your laptop for hours can lead to neck and back pain. Stand up every hours and stretch, run in place, or drink some water. Give yourself a break to just recenter and go back to studying. I do this often because it helps just to get the blood flowing again and help me feel more energized.

Hope these tips helped for finals week, and remember that being sane is obtainable during finals.

Mariah is 21-years-old senior at Hawaii Pacific University, majoring in Mass Communication concentrating in Advertising and Public Relations and minoring Marketing. On her free time, she likes to join extra-curricular activities at HPU, go to the beach, and hang out with her friends and family.
Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.