This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

It’s officially spooky season and in this how-to, I’m going to teach you how to make the most out of this Halloween! We’re going to cover delicious fall dishes, how to create costumes from your closet, essential fall items, and the spookiest movies and shows. I hope this inspires you to have a happy Halloween!

My favorite thing about Halloween is all the food and beverages that are only made this season.

We can’t talk about Halloween or fall foods without mentioning pumpkin spice. There’s just something about pumpkin spice that entices warm, cozy feelings that everyone loves. I don’t really know why this flavor is so addicting and popular but it just is and I’m not mad about it. For example, you can make pumpkin bread, apple cider, or cute Halloween-themed appetizers, meals, and desserts. There’s also caramel apples, candy corn, and pumpkin pie. These dishes are also easy and fun to make! I’m going to list how to make one of my favorite fall recipes below.

Libby’s Pumpkin bread kit: $4.99 at Target 

Ingredients-

Libby’s pre-made pumpkin mix 

4 large eggs

1 cup water

½ cup vegetable oil 

Instructions- 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until well blended 

Pour into 9×5 pan

Bake for 1 hour until golden brown

Let cool for 10 minutes 

The next how-to is for Halloween specifically. I’m going to list a couple of costume ideas you can create from pieces you probably already have in your closet!

All that matters is picking a theme of costume, color coordinating to that specific theme, and adding accessories that are accessible to you. So say you want to be something spooky or cynical you should pick dark-colored clothing. For example, if you’re wanting to be a vampire, adding a leather jacket would upgrade your costume. Picking textures and patterns that fit the vibe of your costume is key. You can also add to your costume by doing specific makeup or special effects.

Another amazing thing about this season is the fall-themed items. These really set the vibe in your home. I’m going to list some of the essentials you need this fall/ Halloween.

• Fall scented candle, scents such as pumpkin, apple, vanilla, or cinnamon
  • Cozy throw blanket 
  • Fall or halloween themed coffee mug 
  • Pumpkins 
  • Fairy lights 
  • Decorative pillows 
  • Simple halloween decor 

This time of year also brings some of the best seasonal movies and series. Below are my must-watch fall films.

Movies: (family-friendly)

• Hocus Pocus 
  • Haunted mansion
  • Twitches 
  • Halloweentown 
  • Harry potter 
  • Nightmare before christmas
  • Practical magic

Movies: (Horror) 

• Scream 
  • Halloween 
  • Sleepy hollow 
  • Scary stories to tell in the dark 
  • IT

Series: 

• Gilmore girls 
  • You 
  • Chilling adventures of Sabrina
  •  The Haunting of Hill House 
  • Vampire diaries
  • Pretty little liars 

These all set the fall and Halloween mood. Plus this is the only acceptable time you can watch some of these movies or series so you have to make the most of it! 

Some other fun things you can do during this season are carving pumpkins, going to a haunted house, or attending costume parties.  

Fall is the ideal season since the weather is perfect, there are a plethora of exciting things to participate in, and even more, amazing holidays are just around the corner. This season is a time to express creativity and inhabit coziness.

My name is Karolyne and I currently reside in Honolulu. I am a junior at HPU, studying communications and marketing. I love fashion, beauty, health, and lifestyle genres!