Student Spotlight: Braeden Burge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Name: Braeden Burge

Age: 20

Hometown: Molalla, Oregon

Year: Sophomore

Major: Multimedia Cinematic

1. Why did you choose HPU?

To be honest, it was because they offered me more scholarships than any other school I applied to. I was also born in Honolulu, so I thought it might be nice to live here awhile, since I can hardly remember the last time my family and I lived here.

2. What has been your greatest challenge?

Making friends. I found out when I transferred schools after my freshman year of high school (from the district I attended since I was in preschool) that I have intense social anxiety. It’s been a slow process, but I am learning to get past it and put myself out there more.

3. What would people be surprised to know about you?

Despite my anxiety, I was given one of the lead roles in my school’s musical production of Anne of Green Gables in my senior year of high school (I transferred back to my old school for my senior year). I was given the part of Matthew, and I had three solos.

4. What’s your favorite spot on campus and why?

There are a lot of places on campus that I love. There’s a certain, voyeuristic charm to Fort Street Mall, and I enjoy the quiet solitude of places like Sharky’s Cove and the student center, but there’s one place I enjoy more than any other at HPU. My dorm is the place I enjoy being more than anything (that is, when I’m actually alone). The air conditioning allows me to sleep much easier than I did last year at Hawaii Loa, and I am much closer to my classes living downtown.

5. What is something you’re passionate about?

Film, as well as the greater film industry. It is, after all, my major.

6. Are you involved in anything at HPU?

I recently took advantage of an opportunity one of my film professors gave me to use a full press pass at the most recent Hawaii International Film Festival. During the eleven days of the festival, I saw twenty-one films. I wrote about each and every one of those experiences on the HPU@HIFF blog, and I can’t wait to do it again next year.

7. Are you involved in anything outside of school?(If so list them)

I guess my previous answer could also apply to this question.

8. What do you like to do in your free time?

Go to the movies, play video games, listen to podcasts, and procrastinate.

9. What is your favorite food?

I know it’s a cliche for Hawaii, but I absolutely cannot refuse Kalua pork whenever I have the chance to eat it.

10. If you were given a choice to know your future, would you take it and why?

I’m not exactly sure what this question is asking, but I’ll assume it has something to do with knowing the thoughts and feelings of my furniture. To be honest, I would not enjoy that, because all I feel like they would say and think is that I should give them a break.

Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.