This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

If there was one appetizer I could eat for the rest of my life, it’d be spinach artichoke dip. I’m obsessed! It’s a creamy and flavorful melty treat that goes great with salted tortilla chips.

A brief history of the food, which dates back to World War II: when American soldiers returned home, they were accustomed to food ingredients from Europe like spinach, artichokes, garlic, lemon, cheese and bread. It was the most requested meal for housewives, at the time, to make for these soldiers. Since then, a large number of American food chains and restaurants adopted the famous dip. There is not one recipe for spinach and artichoke dip, but hundreds.

This particular recipe is easy to prepare with ingredients that are commonly found in an average American home. Out of the hundreds of international recipes of spinach artichoke dip, I want to share with you the best voted recipe from the New York Times. It can be served hot or cold, it tastes good either way!

Ingredients:

• 2 tbsp olive oil

• 1 large garlic clove, chopped

• 12 ounces fresh spinach, chopped

• 14 ounces quartered artichoke hearts

• 8 ounces cream cheese

• 4 ounces mozzarella, shredded

• 4 ounces sour cream

• ¼ cup of parmesan cheese, grated

Instructions:

1. Heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic.

2. Add spinach, salt, pepper, then after a couple of minutes add the artichoke hearts.

3. Reduce heat to low and add cream cheese and mozzarella. Place in a dish, bake in oven at 350 degrees F for 5-8 minutes.

4. Take out of oven, wait for it to cool and choose your favorite tortilla chips to dip it with.

As a college student, going out to restaurants to satisfy my cravings makes my bank account hurt. However, you can spend half the price by making it yourself! Spinach artichoke dip can be served either way, and you can add a meat of your choice in the mix. There are no wrong answers, because no matter what you are served with a delicious, creamy dip that can be shared (or not!)

Guam | Hawaii Pacific University
Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.