jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Trip to Hanoi, Viet Nam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

When I told my friends that I was going to Vietnam, they were speechless. I want to share with you from the beginning to end how my trip to Hanoi, Vietnam went. It may seem a little bit cynical, but it’s not. I love this country and want to alert future travelers to beware of first-time common mistakes that I’ve made. I also want to make it clear that this is MY experience I’m sharing with you. Everyone has their own travel battles while abroad that may be more or less than mine.

Vietnam itself is packed full of historical sites and information! I visited the Northern part of Vietnam called Hanoi – also known as the capital. Vietnam has gone through tough times, but all in all it is an extremely safe country to travel through. From an experienced traveler’s perspective – here in Hanoi, the people keep to themselves, police keep a pretty tight order in the area, and it’s easy to get around in the city. Here’s a list of things I wish I knew before I went there.

1. Before you visit the country, study the country.

Vietnam is the most rewarding country in Southeast Asia to visit and you do not want to miss any part of it. You want to know what tours or attractions you might want to do during your trip and study the food if you aren’t allergic to anything. Also, educate yourself by learning some of the language. Vietnam is not an English speaking country, therefore most signs out on the street aren’t understandable.

2. Take your visa seriously.

Before you book your trip, ask your travel agent how to get a visa to Vietnam. I’ve seen people get turned away because they didn’t properly notarize their visa. When applying for a visa, you will be asked a lot of immigration questions such as reason for visit, location of stay, and how much money will you be traveling with.

3. Mo money, mo things.

Vietnam’s currency is called “dong.” One U.S. dollar is equivalent to twenty-two thousand dong. Pretty much when I was there, I was a millionaire after exchanging fifty dollars. The prices for goods and services depends on how much you want to pay. Unlike America where everything is a fixed-rate, in Vietnam, you can actually bargain for what you’re paying for. This doesn’t apply to every store there, but in some of the rural areas it does.

4. Have thick skin.

Thanks Mom and Dad for raising me the way I am. In Vietnam, especially as a tourist, they will take advantage of you and inflate their prices. Sometimes, they get a little bit pushy and physical to where you’re uncomfortable. Just stay quiet and don’t make a scene, or when it’s getting to a point where you’re unsafe, leave the area. There was one that I was walking on the streets and this man came up to me and grabbed me by my feet. My response wasn’t to yell, but to look at him in confusion. He grabbed my feet to point at my shoe that needed “fixing.” I shook my head and said no.

5. Some people may lie to you.

Have you ever been to a coffee shop with their neon colored lights at the front saying, “Best coffee in America?” It’s most likely a lie. Though politically communist and still state-organized, Vietnam is hyper capitalistic on the streets. Taxi drivers, travel agents and hotel staffs will say anything to you to get a little bit of cash.

6. Transportation.

Don’t trust a taxi cab driver and their prices. Everything will inflate and since you are not familiar with the area, they will definitely take the longer routes. Instead, download the app called “Grab.” Similar to Uber, Grab is an app where you can request a driver and see the estimated amount of money it’s going to cost you to get to one place to another. I do not recommend you to put your credit card information on this app. Just pay in cash.

7. Cell phones and service.

This only applies if you have a phone that is unlocked and can be used internationally. When you get out of the airport after immigration and baggage claim, look for signs that say “Free Sim Cards.” It seems sketchy, especially after I said that some people may lie to you. A trick I use is to follow where most of the foreigners are going. Having a working phone in this country is an extremely helpful tool to get around. Also, never leave your phone or personal belongings unattended.

8. Eat everything.

It’s important to culturally influence yourself with their food. Although I’ve been exposed to Vietnamese food all my life, the quality and quantity is different when you actually get there. The food tastes so authentic and home-made, that it really does make you feel at home. Some of my local favorites was pho ba (beef rice noodles), pho ga (chicken rice noodle), cha gio (pork fried rolls) and banh mi (sandwiches). If you’re not comfortable with using chopsticks, I recommend you carry plastic forks/spoons with you. I also want to add in Vietnamese coffee. You will never go back to your basic house coffee ever again, swear.

9. Put your phone down.

You can’t live in the moment if you’re always on your phone taking pictures or constantly searching for WiFi. You can do that back at your hotel or when you’re at home. During my trip, I barely took any photos, and if I did, it was just one or two shots. Embrace the beauty, history and art when you’re abroad.

10. Influence yourself in their culture.

Some countries may find it offensive when you speak their language. Not in Vietnam. In fact, if you really want to impress a local person, say “chaio” (hello) and “cam on” (thank you). You will see their faces light up to their surprise. Since Vietnam has a huge French influence, some of their language sounds French and their food is similar to what they eat in France. Lastly, the correct way of spelling Vietnam is actually “Viet Nam.” Two words.

There are so many other tips and tricks I want to share with you, but the list can go on and on. My trip to Hanoi, Viet Nam was something I will never forget. I’ve been to Asian countries such as Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Japan, China and South Korea, but Vietnam was something different. When I first arrived, it was cold, gray and very quiet. I may have got ripped off a few times in this country, but I wouldn’t mind going back to visit the South part of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh.

For those who have yet to travel the world or to countries I’ve visited, I’m jealous of you. I wish I could re-experience my first visits all over again. It’s an amazing feeling to be abroad and you truly do find yourself internationally. From my heart to yours, I hope you do get to the destination you want to visit. I guarantee you will never be the same person as you were before you entered the country.

Guam | Hawaii Pacific University
Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.