Meet the Team!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

With the fall semester in full swing, we thought it would be the perfect time to introduce your executive team at Her Campus Hawaii Pacific University!

Amanda Kowalski

Position: Editor-in-Chief

Majors: Mass Communication, Integrated Multimedia

Year: Senior

Surprisingly enough, I was never interested in journalism, advertising, or marketing in high school; I always loved science and math classes. But after spending a semester as a biochemistry major, I realized that it was not for me. I made the switch to multimedia and took a class in advertising. I. Fell. In. Love. I started to learn about marketing, design, journalism, and photography. I finally found what I am passionate about. Flash forward to two years later when my best friend and I were introduced to Her Campus by one of our professors. I love that Her Campus gives students the opportunity to get real work experience while allowing us to have the freedom to structure our team however we want. I am excited for my last semester at HPU and I can’t wait to see what our team does!

Mariah Castro

Position: President

Major: Mass Communication

Minor: Marketing

Year: Senior

Her Campus was an opportunity given to my best friend and I a year ago. At first, it seemed a little intimidating but now I live and breathe Her Campus. As an advertising, public relations, and marketing major, I enjoy getting the word out about things that I am passionate about. I constantly use Her Campus as a way to express myself and to let readers know about different products or lifestyle tips that work well with my everyday life. Holding an executive position in Her Campus has not only been fun but has also taught me lifestyle skills that I can take with me after I graduate from college. I’ve learned a lot of time management and communications skills with our members and hopefully after I graduate, the next president will be able to gain these skills as well.

Katrina Hicks

Position: Secretary/Vice President

Major: Mass Communication

Minor: Marketing and Music

Year: Senior

As an advertising major with a strong writing background, I was highly intrigued when Her Campus was brought to my university by two of my close friends and classmates. I spent my freshman year at a school in northern Idaho as a journalism major, and since transferring to HPU have continued to focus on copywriting and editing. The opportunity to write fun, flirty, and topical pieces was one I sincerely looked forward to; any activity that feels more like entertainment than work – and looks good on my resume, is one that I could never turn down. I am excited to spend my senior year as part of the executive team that helps get Her Campus HPU off the ground, and develops an awesome platform for it to flourish from when we graduate!

Michelle Ann Cala

Position: Senior Editor

Major: Public Health

Year: Senior

Honestly, I decided to join the Her Campus HPU team on a whim after my close friend enticed me with a writing role – and like most of my whims, it ended up being so much more rewarding than I’d thought! I’d never really heard about Her Campus prior to getting involved but I’d always loved reading articles and absorbing the plethora of content people put out on the internet. People are so interesting. So I love being at the forefront of this, where a population as diverse as our students are writing about anything and everything that interests us in our own voices. Having a platform is great and I’m grateful I was invited to get involved to share mine! Although writing is not quite in my career track, I’ve considered myself as having quite a knack for it so it’s definitely coming in handy with my role as senior editor. Hope to get to workin’ during my last semester here.

Tatiana Brittian

Position: Social Media Editor

Major: International Studies

Minor: Japanese

Year: Freshman

I’ve been an avid reader of Her Campus since I was a freshman in high school. I always liked the idea of an online magazine that was run by powerful college women, for college women. I wanted to become the social media editor because social media is my go to for everything. Whether it’s fashion, food, music, even life hacks; social media is my main source. I run the HPU 2021 Instagram account, Hawaii Life Amino app, as well as the HPU 2021 Amino app. I always love being able to lead and meet new people. The internet is an outlet for so many positive things. I hope my time as social media editor will allow me to meet other individuals in the HPU community as well as around the world. Go Sharks!

Marthe Alfsvaag

Position: Treasurer/Events Director

Major: Marketing and international business

Year: Junior

As an international student, I have always been interested in putting myself into situations where I will have the opportunity to learn new things. Being a part of Her Campus is definitely going to give me that opportunity. I am looking forward to all the new people I am going to meet and the experiences I will have while being a part of Her Campus. I have to say that writing has never been something that has interested me, or something I have excelled in. However, I am looking forward to learning, and using the skills I have acquired over the years to do my best as the treasurer and event planner to help grow Her Campus on HPU. Not to mention, I cannot wait to read all the creative and amazing articles our team will write this semester!

Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.