This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

No, not the fruit. A kiwi is a flightless bird that is related to the emus and cassowaries of Australia and the extent moa of New Zealand. They are the closest relatives to the elephant bird, but are smaller than the size of a basketball. A kiwi is the national bird and icon of New Zealand, and the term “Kiwi” is used internationally as a description for New Zealanders themselves.

Not to get confused: when the word “kiwi” is lowercase, I am referring to the flightless bird. When the word “Kiwi” is capitalized, I’m referring to the people.

When I visited Auckland for the first time in 2016, my main goal was to get to the Auckland Zoo and see this nocturnal, flightless bird. What makes the kiwi such a high priority is that they are extremely endangered, with only 68 thousand left in the world! According to the New Zealand’s government of endangered species, 2% of kiwis are lost every week, which is 20 per week. It’s extremely heart breaking just writing about it. Before I get to the “How to save the kiwis” part, let’s talk about what exactly a kiwi is.

There are five different species of kiwis: brown kiwi, great spotted kiwi, little spotted kiwi, rowi and tokoeka. A kiwi’s life expectancy is about 25 – 50 years. Different than any bird species, when hatched, a kiwi is fully covered in feathers. Kiwis are cherished by all cultures in New Zealand, and are the symbol for uniqueness of New Zealand wildlife because they represent the true heritage of the culture. The bird itself is considered a treasure, or “taonga” to the native Maori. A kiwi has a strong, cultural, spiritual and historical association with the people, and the feathers represent high ranks in people.

So, why are the birds endangered? First, kiwis are unable to fly because they have under-developed wing and chest muscles. This makes the species more vulnerable to injuries. The population of canines are high in New Zealand, therefore the birds are hunted by dogs during the day. Since there is more daylight than nightlife, kiwis are more prone to being hunted. Risks to small populations of kiwi results in loss of genetic diversity, inbreeding, and loss of the animal species itself.

However, the Kiwis’ involvement in saving the kiwis has been ongoing since the kiwi population starting declining a couple of decades ago. There are several conservation efforts in place to protect the species, and are often used as a measure for the country to their natural environment. Today, more than 90 Maori communities actively protect the kiwis. They are also protected by the government, and if an individual kills a kiwi, the fine can be up to $100,000! It’s important to the Kiwis that the kiwis are kept safe to continue representing the culture, spirits, and history of New Zealand.

The question remains, “How can I, a non-Kiwi help the kiwi?” First, you can start off with learning more about the flightless bird and spreading awareness through sharing this article with your friends and family. Second, you can donate to the Department of Conservation at this website: http://www.doc.govt.nz/news/events/national-events/save-kiwi-month/. Every $100 dollars saves a kiwi by providing predator protection for an entire year. Even donating a dollar is the worth all the lives. Lastly, add New Zealand to your list of must-see destinations, and go see the kiwi yourself. When I first saw the kiwi in their very dark natural enclosure, you can’t help but think “Why would anyone not protect you?”

Guam | Hawaii Pacific University
Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.