How to be on top of your game before finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

You’re probably in the position right now where all you’re dreaming about is eating pumpkin pie and a whole lotta Thanksgiving food, but you need to get it together, girl! Finals are around the corner and, to beat the stress, you need to plan your life so strategically that you can get through this finals week without eye bags and an A. Here are some tips to help you get through the final weeks of this semester.

Go through all your syllabi again

Double check your due dates. If you’re like me and you plan out your semester once you get your syllabus and/or plan your week out weekly, you should check your due dates. There are always those professors who change due dates throughout the semester so just to be sure make sure that everything lines up.

Break up that paper

*Rips paper in half* jk. If you have lengthy papers you need to write, you should break them up into sections. For myself, I like to do two pages every day until I reach my page count. This way, I work in small increments and don’t feel overwhelmed writing an eight-page paper all at once.

It’s crunch time!

It can be hard to start working on final projects when they’re due a few weeks from now. It can be brutal to start, but it’s better to start now than to wait until a week before it’s due. Working on final papers and projects way ahead of time can leave a lot of room for you to study for your classes. Work hard now… chill later.

Go away germs

One of the worst things that could happen is catching a cold during finals week. With the cold weather rolling in, be sure to bundle up and wash your hands frequently.

Eat relatively healthy

I remember during my freshman year of college I would sit in the library until 10 p.m., stop at 7-Eleven and buy junk food to keep me full until I got home. I felt worse after because my body was like, “Hey…you’re feeding me processed food…I don’t like…feed me some REAL food.” I learned my lesson and now, I try to eat more nutrient-packed foods that contain a good amount from each food group. Some meals I recommend are things with carbs and veggies—I always make these quinoa bowls with chicken, quinoa, whatever veggie I have on hand, and a veggie patty.

Hope these tips help you get through these next few week with finals approaching us. Remember, it’s worth the hassle for the tassel!

Mariah is 21-years-old senior at Hawaii Pacific University, majoring in Mass Communication concentrating in Advertising and Public Relations and minoring Marketing. On her free time, she likes to join extra-curricular activities at HPU, go to the beach, and hang out with her friends and family.
Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.